Author Topic: *ding dong* Hello! My name is...  (Read 3309 times)

nj_song

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • blog
  • Current Gig: Almost, Maine
  • Experience: College/Graduate
*ding dong* Hello! My name is...
« on: Jul 06, 2013, 12:13 am »
Hello! After creeping a little bit on this site, I finally committed and registered.

I'm a senior making my way through undergraduate theatre in Seattle, WA (I'm originally from Los Angeles). My first real stage management gig was "12 Angry Women" for my university. It was actually a really easy show; there weren't many cues, no intermission and no scene changes. Nonetheless, I was terrified because I had never done a mainstage show by myself before at this level. At my school we do something called a Post-Mortem where we evaluate the process of the production rather than the product after we close. My peers and professors only had nice things to say about me and the production. It was then that I realized that my dreams of stage managing professionally could possibly happen. I made it and I was floating on cloud 9. Since then, I've become sort of the top dog in my department but now that I'm a senior, I'm preparing myself to be the little puppy among all the other great SMs in the big pound. Stage management is really something that I'd like to do for as long as possible. I'm currently interning in the Development department of an Opera company. I'm also about to start a small SM gig for a studio theatre which I am really excited for.

One of my short term goals is to bridge the gap between undergraduate theatre and the professional world. I thought this network would be a good place to start. A long term goal of mine is just to serve others through theatre and be happy.

I'm excited to join this little virtual Stage Management community. It really seems like a great place to be.

Thanks for reading!
Have a nice day,
nj_song
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2013, 12:28 am by nj_song »

yomanda

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: *ding dong* Hello! My name is...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2013, 08:59 am »
Welcome, NJ_Song!

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2013, 02:52 pm »
Hello and welcome to SMNetwork.  I would recommend browsing through our Employment board for tips on resumes, interviews and otherwise navigating the job application process in the professional world.  Hope that you find the forum to be a useful resource.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2013, 05:30 pm »
Welcome, Elder Song. Please leave any literature on the table by the door. Enjoy your time here!

riotous