Author Topic: officially saying hello!  (Read 1684 times)

catalie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
officially saying hello!
« on: Jun 22, 2016, 06:57 pm »
Hi everyone! I'm Natalie; I've been looking at this website since late high school and have finally decided to de-lurk and post an introduction!

I'm about to start my last year of college -- I'm (unfortunately?) not in a conservatory program, nor am I majoring in theater, but I've managed to make stage management my top priority in college nonetheless. I'm in Chicago during the school year, mostly working in my university's theater program with occasional outside work in the city. The past three summers, I've been in NYC doing various summer festivals; I just started rehearsal as the 2nd ASM for my 2nd NYMF show.

In terms of SM stories...I SM'd Noises Off in May, which sort of speaks for itself! Some ridiculous/hellish moments include drawing our first blood of Q2Q within 26 minutes, the actor whose character isn't supposed to lose a contact losing a contact during the run, an actor accidentally falling into the audience, and so much more. But no one was seriously injured and the show was hilarious, so I'm counting it as a successful (and stressful and enjoyable) experience!

I've got a bit more of a PSM mindset than an ASM mindset -- I love the birds-eye view of every aspect of the production, and I love facilitating the work of directors and designers. I also love Q2Q and calling. But any position on an SM team is my happy place, and I'm looking forward to spending more time backstage as I graduate college and go into the world of ASMing!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: officially saying hello!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2016, 12:20 pm »
Hi and welcome Natalie! I think getting experience working in the field is one of the best ways to learn stage management. Sounds like when you graduate you'll have a lot of "outside" work on your resume, which can only help in landing job. Glad to have you on the boards!