Author Topic: New to the board and Stage Managing  (Read 2683 times)

BilOregon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown (August) - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (October) - Elf: The Musical (December)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
New to the board and Stage Managing
« on: Oct 28, 2015, 03:04 pm »
Hello, my name is Bil and I am a new SM.  I caught the theatre bug later than most.  I never did any theatre or acting until just about 3 years ago (in my mid-40s).  My daughters were loving the theatre and I was hanging around and decided to audition for my first play (I got Friar Frances in Much Ado About Nothing).  I was hooked.  I've been in 3 or so plays every year for the last 3 years.  I started helping with set building and back stage (while still acting) and really enjoyed it.  I let the theatre know that I would like to do more than just acting, and I would like to stage manage.  They said great, how about next December's show, The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe?  I said, "YES!"  I'm working with a first time director (20+ years acting and asst. directing) and he's working with a first time Stage Manager and I think we're doing pretty good.  At this point I like the SM seat better than the actors seat!  Finally all my lists can be used!

I have been asked to SM three of the shows next year at Cottage Theatre in Oregon (that's 1/2 of the shows).  I've said yes, but now I need better skills and ideas.  That's why I'm here to learn from all of you.  The three shows I'm doing next year are:
  • The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee opens in February
  • Scapino! opens in June
  • A Christmas Story opens in December

The guide said I need to offer a Tip, a Tale or Trivia.  So here's my tip:  Don't offer to SM two shows back to back when you work a full-time job as well.  We're in the middle of rehearsals for Wardrobe and auditions are in about 10 days for Spelling Bee.  I'm pretty sure Aslan is going to win the Spelling Bee!

Looking forward to interacting!

Bil

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: New to the board and Stage Managing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:53 pm »
Welcome aboard, Bil! It's always great to have people on the board with different background and experiences. It's great that you've found that stage management suits you.

Have you worked on musicals before, or will Spelling Bee be your first?

BilOregon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown (August) - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (October) - Elf: The Musical (December)
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2015, 06:12 pm »
Thanks for the welcome!  Spelling Bee will be my first musical as a SM.  I'm grateful the director has done many musicals, and I've worked with him on stage in a musical so I know his style so I think that will help.  I don't know if it will help at all but I'm a wannabe musician as well so I know how to read music so I'll be able to follow along better in the libretto and kind of keep up.   ???

Bil

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2015, 07:20 pm »
Great that you and the director already have a good working relationship. I'm sure it will help that you can read music! If you're interested, over on the Plays and Musicals board, all of the topics have a tag at the beginning. If you "sort by" subject and skip to page 13, there are a whole bunch of threads about SMing musicals. Hope that helps!

Maribeth

BilOregon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2015, 07:46 pm »
Thanks!  Headed over know!

Bil