Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1911 times)

logiclint

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« on: Jun 22, 2015, 04:41 am »
Hi.

I'm a new member. Please call me CJ.

I'm stage managing my second show in NYC. I received a small stipend for the gig. I assistant SM an off broadway production some years ago and have used that to get gigs.

I am in no way proficient and very much learning as I go. I'm a working actor, with a fine degree of theatre study. I am comfortable working with and around actors. But with the director of this show I've caused mild frustration by not formatting contact sheet, schedules, etc. to his immediate liking.

I wish to learn tools that will bring about a greater personal efficiency of professionalism should I SM future productions. 

I feel I am in no way tracking blocking well. It is just scribble in my script. Is there software or formatting standards I should be using for this?

I've probably crossed into another topic trend with my question. This is my "Hello". Hello!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2015, 10:30 am »
Welcome!  We look forward to your contribution.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

logiclint

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2015, 11:26 pm »
Thank you.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2015, 02:37 am »
Hi and welcome aboard, CJ!

There are a lot of great threads on how different SMs take blocking- try doing a search in the upper right-hand corner of the page. I do blocking with paper and pencil. Most of the SMs that I know use their own shorthand that works for them. As long as it's legible, it works. Creating a "key" to explain your shorthand allows someone else to decipher it if needed.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2015, 12:01 pm by Maribeth »

logiclint

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2015, 06:47 am »
Thanks for that.

riotous