Author Topic: New Enough  (Read 3893 times)

Lydia_SM

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Virginia Repertory Theatre, Bucknell University
  • Current Gig: Pinkalicious, VA Rep
  • Experience: Professional
New Enough
« on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:34 pm »
Hi!

My name's Lydia and I'm a senior in college, hoping to pursue stage managing as my career post-graduation. I transferred from community college to a private liberal arts school last fall, so I had a bit of a late start to the academic theatre world. (In high school, I worked as tech in community theatre productions but this is my first experience getting to stage manage productions.) I'm still a big fish in a little pond, so I'm looking forward to internships and experience in the professional world where I can shadow and work with more experienced SMs. I wish I could stay in the academic world a bit longer, as I feel I would benefit a lot from another year or so of working with my advisers. Just means that I'm taking advantage of as many opportunities as I can and making the most of my last year in school.

I'm trying to squeeze as much theatre into my schedule as I can, considering that I'm not a theatre major. That includes Stage managing the two mainstage shows this semester and hopefully one more in the spring. These are my first times stage managing the mainstage shows and I found all the resources on this site SO helpful as we were going through the process. I've still got a lot to learn and I appreciate all the advice that's been shared here.

While I'm currently in college theatre, I started out in community theatre. One summer, I was involved in a musical production, and as per that theatre's MO, there were a lot of families involved. Since it was a musical, there were lots of opportunities to help out: ensemble, run crew, set shop, light/sound ops. Even though it was a small show at a community theatre, it was quite a memorable run and I'm so glad that I got to work on a show with my family. Theatre's in my blood and thank goodness I found what I love.

I'm excited to be a part of this. Thanks!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: New Enough
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2015, 07:21 pm »
Welcome aboard, Lydia! It sounds like you're getting a lot of good experience in during your last year. What is your major? I'm always curious about how people use the skillsets that they have from other majors/experiences in stage management- it makes for some of the most interesting SMs.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2015, 12:19 am »
Hi!

My name's Lydia and I'm a senior in college, hoping to and I will pursue stage managing as my career post-graduation.

Don't "hope", "do".  Use definitive, forceful words to chart your course.  Hope implies it's out of your control.  It's not - once you decide what you want, go get it. 

Welcome, welcome.  Hoping you find the forum as a helpful resource. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:00 am »
Hi!

My name's Lydia and I'm a senior in college, hoping to and I will pursue stage managing as my career post-graduation.

Don't "hope", "do".  Use definitive, forceful words to chart your course.  Hope implies it's out of your control.  It's not - once you decide what you want, go get it. 

Did you mean, "Going the extra mile to make sure the forum is a helpful resource for you"? :P

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2015, 11:55 pm »
Hi!

Did you mean, "Going the extra mile to make sure the forum is a helpful resource for you"? :P

I suppose I earned that one, hah!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt