Author Topic: Long-time lurker, first time poster  (Read 3207 times)

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
  • Experience: Professional
Long-time lurker, first time poster
« on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:32 pm »
I was researching some career things, and thought I would finally register and start posting.
Short version- Born in NY, raised in FL, back to NY for college. Just graduated in January so I am trying to find my way in the crazy world of NYC SMing. Besides school shows, I've SMed and ASMed off-off-broadway, was a venue director at FringeNYC and have freelanced doing set installs/strikes and event work. I'm currently applying for 4673461743647 PA jobs/internships all over the country. Even though I am not in AEA yet, I work part-time as an audition monitor for them.

My tips? I can't say I have many that ya'll wouldn't already know about, but my favorite is to have some office supplies you adore. I always get weird little Halloween notepads for my to-do lists and other things just to make me smile during rehearsal. When a cartoon ghost is telling you you're BOO-TIFUL it's hard to get worked up.

My favorite story is not really a story but a feeling, if that makes sense. If any of you haven't done a Fringe before, the venue director is essentially the production manager/semi-SM of a specific venue (NYC's festival uses around 16-18 venues every festival). I had 14 separate productions (the most of any venue) with 5 shows each on rotating schedules, and it was my first time working at Fringe in any capacity. Despite one show that was a near-disaster, and almost living at the theater, the support from the cast, crews and producers of every show made me feel so incredibly loved. The amount of food I was brought (and one time, a bottle of wine) was amazing, let alone how many times people offered to get me everything from cupcakes to cold medicine when I was a bit sniffly. I got subsequent work and great friends.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Long-time lurker, first time poster
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:13 pm »
Hi and welcome to the boards! Congrats on graduating. Thanks for sharing your Fringe story- it's always nice to have a great support system. Look forward to seeing you on the boards!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:48 pm »
Welcome - hope you can make it to our meet up on Monday!!!!

If not, hope our paths cross in the city soon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2014, 03:05 pm »
Thanks Maribeth and Matthew! I logged on today and saw that I missed the details of the meet-up-- and I could have actually made it. Drats. Oh well, maybe next time.
I already see a couple of familiar faces while poking around, so I'm sure we will run into each other some time.