Author Topic: Living on a Theatre salary--wait.  (Read 1431 times)

Techtor

• Tourist
  • Actor on set.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theatre Ontario
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Living on a Theatre salary--wait.
« on: Sep 21, 2014, 04:33 pm »
Cause there's no real salary. HAH.

Aren't I funny? My name is Kearyn, I'm a working actor and production monkey based out of Toronto, Canada and figured I should sign up here since I lurk often enough. I studied in a performance based program for Musical Theatre and found I'm happiest as long as I am physically in a theatre. Otherwise, I could care less what I'm doing (depending on the show...).

Started in high school with set construction (I made the mistake of saying I know how to use a power tool in my audition), moved into Lighting Design and Technical Direction for the following two years, moved to a new school because I heard their theatre classes/productions were awesome, turns out it didn't happen the year I was there because the teacher was gone for the year, agreed to stage manage a production that never happened and ended up basically teaching the class. To say the least. I spent a few weeks at Stratford, Ontario doing their Shakespeare school during the summer, and have loved their productions for-EVER. Did college (St Lawrence College in the Thousand Islands area- partnered with the Thousand Islands Playhouse), liked it, ASM'd the third show of the college season after being on running crew for the first two, got caught up in performance (since you know... it was a performance-based program), and pretty much have been juggling both whatever I can do backstage with being onstage since I can't make up my mind.

I'll be stage managing my first show in the new year--with Theatre Scarborough and their production of 9 to 5 and I'm excited but incredibly nervous? Yup. That's me. I prefer musicals to plays more often than not, but I'm never picky.

Aaaand a funny anecdote-- During a production of The Scottish Play, I'd been delighted to know how the Murderers kill Lady Macduff and how they made the sound. They would break her neck--but have an empty water bottle stuffed under their arm/cloak and crush it to make the sound. Every night someone would run out to the bathrooms/horrified cries from the audience/etc. whenever she was killed. Ha. lar. ious.

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Living on a Theatre salary--wait.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2014, 11:35 pm »
Recently did a production of Titus Andronicus. When Titus kills Mutius, our fight was three parts. First an arm break, then a hip dislocation, then the killing stab. We used bubble wrap wrapped around the actor's arm and stuffed in the pants pocket. :)

Welcome!