Author Topic: Kentucky to Seattle!  (Read 2084 times)

OWorthyFool

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Transylvania University, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: Busman's Honeymoon with Taproot Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Kentucky to Seattle!
« on: Nov 09, 2016, 04:21 pm »
Hello! My name is Laura. I am a pseudo-professional SM trying to find work in Seattle. I grew up in Kentucky, where I worked my way from community and school theatre to stage managing the majority of my university theatre program's shows. I have my BA in Theater from Transylvania University. I stage managed professionally for Lexington, KY theatres throughout college and the following years, including multiple world and regional premieres. I moved to Seattle 6 months ago to try to make it professionally.

To pay the bills, I am a shift leader at a used bookstore. I have a girlfriend and 2 bratty cats depending on me and who I love dearly.

When I am calling a show, I like to use different colored highlighters for my light, sound, effects, crew, and other cues so I can know at a glance how many different things are going to happen at once.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Kentucky to Seattle!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2016, 12:49 pm »
Welcome!

As you move on to other theatres, be sure to travel with your own light, so that you know for sure what colors those various cues will end up in. (I once had a theatre provide me a blue-gelled light for instance.) I have a Littlite that is dimmable. Highly worth it.

Erin

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Kentucky to Seattle!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2016, 02:08 pm »
Welcome, Laura! I worked at a used bookstore for six years and loved it- I'm a little jealous!

riotous