Author Topic: I did not choose stage management, it chose me.  (Read 4707 times)

SMPedroH

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • Pedro+
  • Affiliations: Trevecca Nazarene University, The Stage Managers' Association
  • Experience: College/Graduate
I did not choose stage management, it chose me.
« on: May 10, 2019, 01:59 pm »
Hello!

I am about to enter my final year in college, and will graduate with a degree in Dramatic Arts. It's crazy to say that because I started college majoring in Graphic Design, but everything changed after my first show...

I was an extra in The Little Mermaid, and my life has been theatre ever since. I stage managed Hamlet a couple of months after that, which solidified my career choices. I fell in love with theatre. This is my story, and I'm so happy to share it with you.

I've known about this community ever since I heard it mentioned during a workshop session at SETC, but I wasn't sure how to get involved with it. I really want to connect with other stage managers, and so I finally mustered up the courage to post here :)

I hope to be relatively active here from now on, so please leave a post so I can get to know you.

Thanks for reading!

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: I did not choose stage management, it chose me.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 02:02 am »
Welcome!

Take a look around - there is a wealth of knowledge here. I too started out in very small roles - I was the Wicked Witch of the West WHEN SHE SHRANK when I was seven. I spent my first year of college as an acting major before I discovered what "real" stage management was.

Erin

SMPedroH

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • Pedro+
  • Affiliations: Trevecca Nazarene University, The Stage Managers' Association
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 10:36 am »
Welcome!

Take a look around - there is a wealth of knowledge here. I too started out in very small roles - I was the Wicked Witch of the West WHEN SHE SHRANK when I was seven. I spent my first year of college as an acting major before I discovered what "real" stage management was.

Erin

Thanks! I intend on looking around, this looks like a wonderful community. Are there any particular threads that you recommend?

That sounds like a fun role!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:03 pm »
Welcome aboard!