Author Topic: I'm new here!  (Read 1488 times)

apeacocklvr

I'm new here!
« on: Apr 13, 2016, 02:47 pm »
Hey there! My name's Katie, I'm fairly new to the industry and I work at the high school theatre level. I work primarily with Project Shakespeare, we're based in Jaffrey NH and as you can guess, mainly perform Shakespeare, although we dabble in other types of productions throughout the year. Being a smaller company, my job is more than just SMing, I also run sound, work with the set, props, and costumes, and really do everything. A unique factor with our company is that we don't have a theatre- we jump around to different venues in the Monadnock region, usually 8 per show, and sometimes move more than once in a day. This means that our sets are minimal and very portable, and we also don't have a lighting system. It also makes my job stressful- for instance, nothing can be spiked, you need to remember where everything goes, and if you leave something at a venue, you probably won't have it in time for the next show. That being said, I love that we get to sample so many different places and backgrounds for each individual show.

I've been with the company for almost a year now, but in this company you learn fast. I was promoted to SM after ASMing my first show (Henry V) and had to learn as I went, but I'm doing pretty well! My specialties include being excessively organized and sending very detailed cast emails. I'm looking forward to sharing my opinions and learning new things here, this seems like a great community.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2016, 10:01 am »
Welcome to the boards, Katie! Nice that you're getting experience in a lot of different areas. Sounds like an interesting company!