Author Topic: I'm Katie :)  (Read 1684 times)

kdshort1

• New to Town
  • Hi! :)
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alumni of SVSU, Member of Pit & Balcony
  • Current Gig: In between: Next is The Cockfight Play at Pit & Balcony
  • Experience: Community Theatre
I'm Katie :)
« on: Aug 29, 2014, 07:02 pm »
Hey everyone!
I'm Katie, and I'm new to this forum.  I'm in my fifth year of university, studying stage management and lighting design.  I'm much more experienced in SM than I am in LD, but I love both too much to choose just one! 

I only got to ASM one time before I went on to attempt the job of Stage Manager, but I was really lucky to have great faculty members and fellow SM's rooting for me.  My first 'big girl' stage managing experience was Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller.  What an experience.  There were 13 cast members, and that show is a beast no matter how you spin it.  But what a great first experience!

Since, I've Stage Managed 3 more shows and am designing lights for the second time for Frank Galati's John Steinbeck's The Grapes Of Wrath, which is another beast of a show.  Bring it on, I say!

Feel free to message me any time, I love talking strategy and organization tactics and swapping horror stories!

Thank you! :)
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2014, 03:47 pm by kdshort1 »

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: I'm Katie :)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2014, 11:38 am »
Hi and welcome, Katie. Lighting design experience can be great for a stage manager to have- it gives you the right vocabulary to talk to the designers you are working with. Be sure to check out the Students and Novices board- lots of great info there for/from students.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2014, 12:00 pm »
Hi Katie!

As Maribeth said, the more knowledge you have of other department's work, and the work methods they use, the better! It can only improve your usefulness and resourcefulness - especially when working at a community/fringe level. It's one of the reasons why I've kept my knowledge of LX desks up to date, and do a little bit of programming on the side - it's much easier to ask for what you want/need when you can speak the same language!

C

kdshort1

• New to Town
  • Hi! :)
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alumni of SVSU, Member of Pit & Balcony
  • Current Gig: In between: Next is The Cockfight Play at Pit & Balcony
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2014, 03:48 pm »
Thank you both for the advice: I think anyone in theatre (even actors) should be at least educated on the lingo: it definitely makes the process smoother all around!

:)