Author Topic: Hi all!  (Read 3148 times)

Fallleaves

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Hi all!
« on: Sep 04, 2013, 01:03 pm »
After months of just using SMNetwork as a guest, I finally decided to join.

I suppose I joined out of desperation or for a little bit of commiseration. For the first time in almost three months I am unemployed.

I graduated four months ago with a degree in Italian and decided I wanted to try to pursue my totally unrelated dream of stage managing. Having only stage managed twice before moving to the NYC metropolitan area (call me crazy), I was anxious--and still am. It has been an amazing three months. I have worked on four shows in that span (including one for NYCFringe which I was ecstatic about!) And I have learned SO much about being a stage manager. It's really incredible. Bad days and good days, I am happy I have chosen this career.

I know I love what I am doing.
I know I am good at stage managing.
I know I can be great at stage managing.
Just looking for the next step, I suppose.
Hi all :)
-Angelissa

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
Re: Hi all!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2013, 05:11 pm »
Hello and welcome to SMNetwork.  Glad you made the leap from guest to member!  Italian isn't entirely unrelated to stage management--have you considered Opera?  If you haven't already browsed through the Employment board, be sure to take a look through it.  Best of luck to you as you plan your next step and move forward with stage management.

Dart

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: GALA Hispanic Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2013, 04:10 pm »
Welcome Angelissa!

Aside from Opera (which is a brilliant idea), have you looked around for Italian theater companies? I feel NYC, of all places, should have a couple. I'm working in a Spanish theatre (in DC) and while our plays are in Spanish, many of our techs are American (with varying degrees of Spanish knowledge). I definitely list my languages in my resume, because you never know when you'll find a company with a designer who speaks English as their second language!

Fallleaves

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2013, 10:35 pm »
That's genius! Yes, I should look at Italian or Italian-affiliated companies. Thank you! And, yes, I got a chance to check out the employment board. Unfortunately, it's pretty sparse. I think this is due to the way theatre jobs are often found--since most jobs openings are spread through word-of-mouth...
Thanks for the welcome!
-Angelissa

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2013, 03:23 pm »
For Opera jobs, check out the facebook group- Stage Management Jobs in Opera. Opera America's website will also post things, but I've never had much luck with that.

Best of luck!