Author Topic: Hello from Western North Carolina  (Read 2170 times)

Theonejohno

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • John O.'s Linked In
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Hello from Western North Carolina
« on: Jun 14, 2017, 12:12 pm »
Hello, all! I am John from Asheville, North Carolina. I graduated from UNC Asheville last year and have been in the "real world" since. I have only been the main stage manager of 2 shows (one college and one Busch Gardens), but have years of experience in technical theatre. I am looking to get my break and start stage managing in regional theatres, tours, cruise ships, Broadway, West End, and anywhere that I can get experience (and hopefully money). I just recently went to the Broadway Stage Management Symposium and fell in love with it all over and have the itch again. Can't wait to see what the future holds, not only with this site but in my career.

John O.

"Don’t waste any time trying to be like anybody else because the things that make you strange are the things that make you powerful" -Ben Platt
"Don’t waste any time trying to be like anybody else because the things that make you strange are the things that make you powerful" -Ben Platt

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Hello from Western North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2017, 01:06 pm »
Welcome, John!

If you are looking to get more into the theme park and cruise ship side of the business I'd recommend honing your skills in all technical aspects you can get your hands on, but specifically in show control and automation.  The shows that are produced and on "rinse and repeat" for years on end are heavily automated, as you're no doubt learning at Busch Gardens.  Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Hello from Western North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2017, 09:52 pm »
Hi from central North Carolina: are you looking to stay here in the Tar Heel state of move on? NCTC is a great resource for job information.
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

riotous