Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 2542 times)

AGadowsky

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Hello All
« on: Nov 02, 2017, 10:15 pm »
Hello Everyone

My name is Al.

I am a Canadian ASM/SM based in Edmonton Alberta. I work mostly in Musical Theatre with a few plays and operas thrown into the mix to keep things exciting.

I am wanting to start working more digitally and discovering ways to integrate technology into my stage management process.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Hello All
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:53 pm »
Hi and welcome! There have been some threads discussing technology (you can do a search in the upper right corner to find them) but I'd be interested in hearing what kind of technology you're interested in using. Are you looking to use more software, like scheduling programs or a digital calling script? Or something else?

AGadowsky

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2017, 11:14 pm »
Hi Maribeth,

I am interested in digitizing my prompt script during rehearsals. I work mostly as an ASM right now and am looking at trying to see if I could move to working on a tablet style device for everything in the rehearsal hall.

I started to search last night and will continue in the coming days.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:15 pm »
Have you tried using optical recognition software to scan the script in? There are some websites that will do it for free. If you use the OCR software to scan the script, I recommend double-checking for errors- sometimes the software doesn't scan everything perfectly. I've also just sucked it up and typed the whole thing during prep week. Labor-intensive and tedious, but the upside is that you become VERY familiar with the script. :)

I have never used a tablet as an ASM, but I do use a digital calling script. I'd be interested to hear how this works out for you, so I hope you post about your experience!

riotous