Author Topic: Preshow Announcement  (Read 2543 times)

Always Learning

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Preshow Announcement
« on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:27 pm »
As part of the preshow announcement, do you need to announce if you're using non firing weapons in a stage production?

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Preshow Announcement
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2016, 07:56 am »
I wouldn't for non-firing. If there's shots, I'd put signs up in FoH, or in the programme (or both!). Pre-show Announcement (presumably you mean along with 'please turn off phones', etc?) seems like a strange place to do this for me.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2016, 08:30 am »
I say this [sadly] only half-jokingly: depending which college/university you're at, you may need to include a "trigger warning" - pun not intended.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2016, 05:29 pm »
I've never heard of any warnings about effects being given during the actual pre-show announcement (haze, fog, strobes, loud sound effects such as gunshots). In my experience it's alway been posted in the lobby, typically at the box office and then wherever the company board is if it's a significant distance from the box office, and sometimes a note in the program. I'm sure 99% of the audience tends to ignore those signs anyway, but having it in the pre-show announcement would seem very strange, since it would be a little late by that point to serve as a real warning to any audience members who might actually have concerns over any of those things.