Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 3494 times)

cgillespie

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Hello!
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:36 am »
Hi all!

I am new to the site! I am a college student very interested in Stage Management! I will be attending the American College Theater Festival this weekend and I am going to be presenting my work on the show Equus that my school produced this Fall. I would love and appreciate any advice those of you that have gone to ACTF as stage managers. I am very nervous for the interview, and I'm not quite sure what information to include in my presentation! Thanks so much!

Chelsea

SMdrum

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Resident SM at Matrix Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:21 pm »
I was nervous presenting the first time I presented too.  Make sure you talk about any challenges you had during the rehearsal process and performance run.  Did you have any really crazy scene changes or costume changes during the show?  Was there a large cast?  Did any understudies need to fill in?  Did any emergencies occur?  If so, how did you handle the situation?  Did the script have any unique challenges like script rewrites?  For example, I watched a stage manager's presentation for The Drowsy Chaperone, and he highlighted how an actor had to roller skate while blindfolded during the show.

Also, the two professional stage manager respondents might ask you questions about your prompt book or the challenges you describe during your presentation. 

Break a leg!

cgillespie

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:39 pm »
ah! Thank you very much!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:40 pm »
Hi and welcome, Chelsea! Be sure to check out the Students and Novice Stage Managers board. You might also try doing a search (in the upper right hand corner of the page) for other posts about people's ACTF experiences.

Good to have you here!

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:29 pm »
Hello and welcome to SMNetwork, Chelsea.  I second the advice that has already been given and will add: relax, breathe, and be yourself.  Best of luck to you this weekend!

cgillespie

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:23 pm »
The presentation is only 5 or so minutes right?

SMdrum

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Resident SM at Matrix Theatre Company
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2013, 05:34 pm »
You only have about a minute to present.  However, make sure you have enough to talk about for more than a minute.  It depends when the respondents cut you off.  You present your prompt books, and then they give you the response and ask you questions.

riotous