Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 3917 times)

mibrook2

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Greetings
« on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:21 pm »
Greetings SM Network,

My name is Matthew Brooks and I'm a freshman stage management major pursing a BFA at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I have lived in the area since I was two and that works out well because central Illinois has a surprisingly dedicated theatre scene. My high school theatre department was very good (the featured show at our high school theatre festival both times that we were eligible while I was a student there), and the University of Illinois has been all that I had hoped for and so much more.

I mainly love doing musicals and I've done several (my favorite is Urinetown and since I've done it twice now I pretty much have the show memorized line by line), but I also love the literary prowess of plays (Proof by David Auburn being my favorite play). I'm studying stage management, but I also love writing, directing, and set building. I kind of just love doing everything around a theatre and I figure that stage managing is the best way to be in touch with everyone.

I learned of your website from a fellow student here at the U of I who is another ASM with me on our production of O Beautiful by Theresa Rebeck which will start rehearsals in a couple of weeks and go through the performances in April.

As to little tips, I find that getting to know everyone working on a production (especially the people that generally won't talk to as much, such as assistant to assistants, etc) really helps cement your place as an essential aid to the production. This might seem pretty obvious, but I think people are a lot more willing to listen and try to help you if you've talked to them when you haven't needed something.

As to a story, my favorite one is during a production of Beauty and the Beast that I stage manged, we had a wagon where a wheel broke off entirely (our stage had a divot and the wheel got stuck in it), and we had to fix it in about four minutes before it needed to go out again. So we basically had two big guys our crew lift it up, had my asm sprawl across the floor, and we all tried to fix it as silently as we can. It ended up working out perfectly and we made it without anyone in the audience realizing that a major disaster was fixed. It was definitely my proudest moment.

Trivia time! I love trivia, so I have a lot of it. Some movie trivia: The Lion King was considered the "B" movie that the Disney Animation Studios were working on. It got the less experienced designers, animators, and other creative personnel. The movie that got the "A" list creative team? Pocahontas.

So I hope you learned a little about me (I feel like I just talked a lot) and I hope to get to know you guys in the future!

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:35 am »
Welcome to SMNetwork. As you go through your educational career this is a great place to supplement what you are learning in school, learn new tips and tricks, and vet ideas with your peers and with experienced SMs. Once you start making the transition into that dreaded "real world" this will be the perfect resource for making it go as smoothly as possible. There is so much information to be found!

Great story by the way I hope both of those crew guys went on to star in productions of Les Mis!
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

mibrook2

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:33 pm »
Thank you BARussell for the warm welcome! I'm very excited to learn a lot from you guys, but also to get to know you. I find stage managers to be the most entertaining and rewarding friends you can have. While you might not see each other for quite a while because of conflicting shows, there is no one more understanding, trustworthy, and honest than the stage managers I've met.

Actually, they did work on a production of Les Miserable later with a local theatre company! Unfortunately their talents weren't used to lift a massive cart. (Nice reference by the way! It took me longer then I would care to admit to realize what you meant.)

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:14 pm »
Hi, Matthew! Nice to see another Illinois college student here! I myself considered UIUC for school, but opted for a smaller school instead.

If you don't mind me asking, what high school did you attend? It is possible that I may have seen one of your shows at Theatre Fest.

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My professional website
  • Affiliations: SETC
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager: Brecksville Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:24 pm »
Welcome! I am, as well, a student in stage management. This is a great forum for academic stage managers. So much to learn! I have taken to the forms tab while I figure out my own stage management style, it is a great tool. I am just now working on finding my "brand" considering my career, so I suggest you start now! Turns out, my brand is educational theatre. Welcome, again, to the forum. I look forward to more trivia!

Mandi

mibrook2

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:53 am »
Hey bkrst275! It's nice to meet another Illinois college student too! What school did you end up at, if you don't mind me asking?

I went to Central High School. We brought Sweeney Todd in 2010 and A Chorus Line in 2012. Both were on the main stage and there were two performances of both. Did you happen to see it?

Hey MandalynM! Educational theatre is an interesting brand to pick! Why did you end up there?
And I love knowing random things! So here's more trivia, Picasso mentioned his childhood once and said "[that at his birth] my mother said, 'You're magnificent. If you join the military you'd be a general. If you join the church, you'd be the pope.' But I became a painter and became Picasso."

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:49 am »
Welcome, and great first post!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:26 pm »
mibrook2,
  I love the idea of teaching something that I love. My main goal is to find a job that I get to stage manage, teach, advise, and learn. (Sounds greedy!) But I want to teach and get the practicum of theatre. It is important to maintain working in theatre while you teach so you are up to date as well.

Thanks for the question! I just love teaching :)

mibrook2

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:40 pm »
MandalynM,

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you're interested in being a professor of Stage Management somewhere? If that's right, what kind of university do you want to work at? But I don't think that sounds greedy! It seems pretty great, actually. It's not my main focus, but I love teaching other people. It's an amazingly rewarding task. It's probably also why I'm so interested in directing. Or maybe I just like the sound of my own voice  8)

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:29 pm »
I would love to work in a small university, somewhere I can work with everyone. I do love stage management and the practicum of it, but I also enjoy the teaching aspect. I do know that I need more professional experience to be able to have sustainable career in education, so I am working on both. Its a process.

I know plenty of stage managers that direct as well. They are both so connected that it is a logical jump. Personally, I have no desire to be that vocal in a rehearsal! However, I do love the sound of my own voice!

Mandi

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2014, 08:57 pm »
Hello from the other end of the Illinois!

Looks like you're well on your way around the forums and you don't need much guidance from me. Thanks for coming on board - I look forward to seeing more of you.