Author Topic: Community theatre stage manager dropping in  (Read 1985 times)

sarcasticstagemanager

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Wizard of Oz with a youth group and Hair with a Community group
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Community theatre stage manager dropping in
« on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:39 pm »
Hi everyone! I'm a community theatre stage manager (and sometimes assistant stage manager) and I've been stage managing since I was 14. (which is almost half my life at this point. How did I get so old?) Since I'm only a volunteer, I've been hesitant to join SMnet, but I've been encouraged by a lot of people that a community theatre volunteer like me would be welcome, too, so I'm taking the leap. Growing up in theatre, I have a lot of friends who work professionally in theatre, so it's always interesting to see how different things can be and how similar.

Right now I'm in between seasons, so I actually have time to do things like drop by the forum and say hi, but my last few shows have been very eventful! In my summer show, a production of Avenue Q that I stage managed for a group of high school and college students, we dealt with a very dramatic flooding situation! On closing night, water started dripping backstage at the church we were renting as a theatre space and then the entire basement flooded. We were able to finish the performance (unlike the last time I dealt with a flooding theatre), but I had a lot of freaked out kids and young adults talking to me on headset! And it was definitely a VERY eventful strike!

SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Porchlight Music Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Community theatre stage manager dropping in
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:44 pm »
Welcome!! Sounds like you have a lot of interesting experiences! I'm sure you'll find SMNetwork helpful. Enjoy your off time!

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Community theatre stage manager dropping in
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2016, 05:27 pm »
Welcome! (this is Katie)

riotous