Author Topic: A second chance Hello  (Read 2988 times)

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My professional website
  • Affiliations: SETC
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager: Brecksville Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
A second chance Hello
« on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:23 pm »
Hello,
  This is my second chance introduction. My name is Mandi and I am in graduate school. I misused this website last year, and I want to apologize for that to all involved. I have been through a year of intense educational training, and I am fully ready to take the responsibility of my actions last year. I appreciate the chance to be back on this forum.

Thank you all again for a warm welcome.

Mandi

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: A second chance Hello
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2014, 11:41 pm »
Hey Mandi -

It takes a lot of chutzpah to come back after a ban. Doubly so to jump in with an intro post on a board moderated by the person who banned you. So cheers for that, you've got courage, lady.

Enjoy the conversation, feel free to ask questions as they arise - it's more of a discussion section than a seminar around here. Perhaps after your year in SM intensive you've picked up some tips to share with us?

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:06 pm »
I thank you for having me back, and thank you very much for the kind words. I wanted to introduce myself again, because I am different than I was last year.

I have picked up some great tips, over the summer, I worked with an amazing Equity Stage Manager. She was quiet and reserved, which is definitely different from me. The biggest tip I learned this year was "If you're talking, you're not listening" This statement has changed my position as a stage manager. It is now my mantra in rehearsals. Just because you are the stage manager doesn't mean you need to hear your own voice to earn respect.

I am learning to anticipate and recognize potential problems in rehearsal and that all comes from listening instead of talking.

I have found myself a bit more through some self discovery and am not nearly as anxious as I once was. Which I think was my biggest downfall.

I am happy to be back to this forum and, again, I appreciate your kind words.

Mandi

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:05 pm »
Welcome back . . . we are always learning, always growing, and we all make mistakes . . . welcome back.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:27 pm »
Thank you! I am very glad to be back, and welcomed so nicely.

Mandi