Author Topic: A Lurker No More  (Read 3039 times)

CaptainMorgandy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
A Lurker No More
« on: Oct 28, 2014, 12:33 pm »
Quick Facts (let's get it out of the way)
Name: Morgandy
Based in: Montreal
Height: I don't want to talk about it
Areas of Interest: Games, Disney, Stage Management

Hi! So, been a lurker for close to a year now and I figured it's time to get more involved. I'm an actor-turned-stage manager based out of Montreal. I started acting when I was about 8 years old and I was studying in a Professional Theatre (Acting) program at a college level when I discovered Stage Management. A year later I quit school and pursued a career in Stage Management. I'm still in the early stages, only been out for about two years now, but I've already had some great opportunities and have started building a foundation for what I hope will be a life-long career.

Recently I've been spending a lot of time on the site looking for advice regarding Canadian schools that offer Technical Production Degrees that include Stage Management classes. I've narrowed it down to the following three schools

1. University of Alberta
2. University of Victoria
3. National Theatre School of Canada

If anyone's attended any of these or has any kind of feedback I'd really appreciate it.

Tip Tax: The company I'm currently working for has a baked goods rule to discourage lateness. If you're more than 5 minutes late you have to bake something for the next rehearsal. Last night I munched on chocolate pumpkin cheesecake bars during the rehearsal.
Less lateness + Snacks for me = Everyone's Happy

Funny Story Tax: On the last show I worked on we had an actor who was... a little lost. About 5 weeks into rehearsal he received a note from the director asking him to be further upstage for a scene and he exclaimed "What the HECK does UPSTAGE mean?".
Five WEEKS into Rehearsal. One week to opening and he hasn't figured out what upstage means yet.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: A Lurker No More
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2014, 03:53 pm »
Welcome! That's a good tip about the snacks. As for the height, I've heard some refer to it as Vertically Challenged  ;).

SamanthaR

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Phoenix Theatre
Re: A Lurker No More
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2014, 11:22 pm »
Welcome!
Story and Tip Tax... nice. 
I am a baker myself so for fun I put favorite baked good on the emergency contact form so I can keep peoples favorites in rotation.

As to height I go with Wee but Mighty ;)
wee but mighty