Author Topic: Interview Request for Professional SMs(thank you in advance)  (Read 8859 times)

HBrown89

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
I am seeking to interview a professional SM, I have 9-10 questions to ask, is anyone willing to assist me? If so here are my questions.. I would really appreciate the the feedback. It is for an English paper and the topic is career choice. I understand that many have been asked these questions before and I apologize but it is difficult to ask very specific questions when it comes to this subject. I am supposed to give a general description of the inner-workings of this career so I found it easier to  keep the questions broad rather than specific.
My questions are:

1)   Why did you decide to go into this field?  What did you do to enter the field?  What did you study?  Where did you go for training? 
2)   Did this field turn out to be what you expected?  Would you make the same choice again?
3)   What were some of the challenges getting into and succeeding in the field? 
4)   What is your lifestyle like?  How many hours a week do you work?  Do you take work home?  Do you travel?
5)   What do you like about your job?
6)   How has the field changed since the time you entered it?
7)   What advice do you have for someone who’s thinking about entering this field?  What do you wish you had known before you entered the field? 
8 )   What has been your best experience so far in the field?
9)   When is it a good idea to become an AEA Member?
10)   What is the best piece of advice you have for people looking to pursue a career in this field?

Thank you all!

*This post as been approved as a student project. Modified by Candy0081*
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:05 am by Candy0081 »

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Where do you go to school and who assigned you these questions? I am curious since this identical list has been sent to our network more than our fair share of times.

It would be wise to explain your stake in this, and get as specific as possible with your questions, as well as looking around our site and asking questions generated by what you learn there, because otherwise the chances of you getting any responses are pretty slim.

Thank you
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:53 pm by loebtmc »

HBrown89

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
I go to Fullerton College and My Professor is Annie Liu. It is an English class and the topic of the essay is career choice. The thesis statement  is rather simple for this paper. It is basically "I believe that a career in Stage management would/would not be a good choice for me" and the rest of the essay is to explain the reasons why or why not. I would go and look around the site for these questions but then I am afraid that I would not be able to cite it as my interview with that person. It would be much easier to do that but I do not want to risk the chance of being accused of plagiarism even though the questions may be identical to mine.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
I would suggest you explore the site and then 1) ask questions that arise from that exploration and 2) if you want to use someone's response, PM them and ask permission. They can allow it and give you their real name for citation.