Author Topic: Hello! I could use your expert help.  (Read 8465 times)

THTstudent

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Hello! I could use your expert help.
« on: Dec 08, 2010, 02:49 pm »
Hello All!

I am currently a theatre student in New York, taking a stage management class.

I have some questions for those of you who have professional stage management experience! Any answers are helpful, and a complete set is even better! I need to present an interview with a stage manager, and this would really help me out. Thanks!

1.What is it that motivated you to become a stage manager?
- What was your theatre background before stage management? (if any)
- Did you always know you wanted to become a stage manager, or did the career find you?

2. Did you attend grad school?
-Would you recommend it?

3. What are some of the places you have worked?
-any horror stories? Fun stories?

4. What motivates you every day?
-Is a love of theatre key?

5. What are some skills you think are essential to good work as a stage manager?

6. Has finding work been difficult?
-do you think this corresponds to your city/ area? Experience level?
-How much is who you know? What you know?
 what are some recommendations for looking for stage management jobs?

7. Are you part of a union?
-How soon after school would your recommend joining a union? Would you recommend it at all?

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you, again!

EDIT: Moved from Intros to   Homework Help.  Please note that as of right now this member has not yet made it to the five-post minimum, and therefore is not eligible for Homework   support.  Once he makes a few more posts, I will unlock this thread. - PSMK
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 07:41 pm by PSMKay »

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Hello! I could use your expert help.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:48 pm »
I think you ought to look around a little before asking these broad questions, most of which have been answered on this board in several places. Once you do some of your own work and research and have specific questions, the members here will be happy to help out. But these generalized questions which (if you have looked around at all) you will realize have been asked too many times already are way too broad. I strongly urge you to use the search function before returning.

THTstudent

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:53 pm »
I am looking for a persons specific life story- the way they look at all of these questions together.

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:09 pm »
Look around the boards and get a sense of which members' stories interest you--is there a show someone worked on that you have worked on as well? Is there a story about a certain problem arising in rehearsals that interests you?  If you contact a member with more specific questions about their experiences as referenced in previous posts, they're much more likely to talk to you, and you'll probably have a better interview experience.  Formula homework help requests get you nowhere on this forum, but show some effort and curiosity about specifics and we're all happy to help.

[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

riotous