Author Topic: Working Outside the States  (Read 5234 times)

mpass41

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Millikin University
  • Current Gig: Production Manager, Pipe Dreams Studio Theatre, Millikin University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Working Outside the States
« on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:34 pm »
Hi everybody-
It's kind of nice to get back onto SMNetwork after a hiatus for my senior capstone :)

So here's my question: I'll be graduating from my undergraduate program in the spring, and I'm not inclined to beeline directly to New York. I'd actually like to get some work in the UK or Canada if I could, and I was wondering if anybody had had any experience with that? I'm doing some research on dual-citizenship, but I know I won't be able to go on a student visa anymore, and I'm also not quite sure what their hiring schedule is like. I'd also like to get my equity card at some point, and I hear our point system in the states is mucho different from the point system in England especially.

Really I'm just trying to figure out how feasible this is going to be, and I'd appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!
Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
--Peter Hall

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Working Outside the States
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:48 am »
Anyone can join Equity in the UK, you just need to "supply evidence to prove that you are working as a paid professional in the entertainment industry". www.equity.org.uk

Where are you hoping to work? Musicals/Opera/Theatre, London?

C

mpass41

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Millikin University
  • Current Gig: Production Manager, Pipe Dreams Studio Theatre, Millikin University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:44 pm »
If I had to put it in order, I'd say theatre, then opera, then musicals, but obviously I can't be really picky about where I get work. If you're equity in the UK can you also be equity in the US?
Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
--Peter Hall

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:46 am »
I believe that the two aren't connected at all. However, if you are Equity in the US it may go some way to proving you are a professional, and vice versa.

Joining the Stage Management Association is a good first step, as is subscribing to The Stage newspaper. Sending CVs to HoDs at various theatres is one way to getting dep work on a long-running show, another foot in the door.

C