Author Topic: where do you find work?  (Read 3356 times)

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
where do you find work?
« on: Jun 21, 2009, 03:34 am »
I know that most work for us comes for word of mouth and from working with people over again but I'm wondering where else to look when there is time between those gigs?
I check Craig's List, BackstageJobs.com and Playbill.com daily. I have found that the gigs on CL don't pay most of the time and the few that do pay are also listed on backstagejobs and playbill.
Doesn't anyone else have additional places especially for the NYC area?

SLY

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Sheena L Young
Re: where do you find work?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2009, 03:20 pm »
For the Chicago area I also look on ChicagoPlays.com and (not sure of the website) but Chicago Artist Resource. TCG.org too is useful but there is a fee for this website.

There is also a list of theaters that list job postings on their websites and I check their websites every now and then.

I also will just send in my resume to various theaters with a cover letter. I got one job that way once.
Everything you can imagine is real ~ Pablo Picasso

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: where do you find work?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2009, 05:07 pm »
If you are an SMA member, they send out job postings via email as they are submitted. I have seen a lot of postings for the NY area, especially Showcases. The Equity website also has a job posting section- under "casting call", you can search for current SM notices. Opera America has a job posting section on their website but I don't often (if ever) see stage management positions listed.

I know of a couple of other websites for theatres and other arts positions, but they are in the DC area. I would imagine that there are similar websites for NY.

The other way that I hear about available positions is through an email list of stage managers in the DC area. I'm not sure who (if anyone) maintains it currently, but occasionally a job posting will make its way around the email list.