Author Topic: Where and How to look for jobs  (Read 4570 times)

JulieAnne

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Where and How to look for jobs
« on: Feb 23, 2007, 12:35 am »
HI All,

I'm new to this site.  I would love any advice anyone can give about a resource to look for SM-ing jobs.  I've been looking online for sources, but no real luck so far.  I'm located in AZ right now, and hoping to get a job with a small company to start building up my resume and just LEARN more about technical theatre.  I've grown up in theatre, and I know a little about most everything, but have tons to learn.  Post back!  THANKS!

Julie

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: Where and How to look for jobs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2007, 03:57 pm »
Hey Julie,

Where in Az are you? USITT will be in Phoenix in a couple of weeks and that is a great way to place to meet people and you can also sign up for some sort of job-search type thing. I'm in Phoenix and there is lots of theatre around, just keep looking.

Jorge

ashadeofbrown

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2007, 01:41 pm »
I don't know much about Arizona, but there are generally community theatres that are great places to pick up know-how. It also gives you some more leeway in making mistakes, I feel.
Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2007, 07:51 pm »
Another site to check out is http://backstagejobs.com/

I don’t have AZ specific advice, but if your main goal is to make connections and gain experience, you could try looking at the websites of the smaller professional theaters in your area, and then simply calling up their Production Managers to ask if they have any non-eq ASM, crew, or overhire positions available. I know several eager young ASM types who got entry-level jobs through a cold call.  Just be ready to take something that is low/no pay, and probably one show at a time, rather than a season contract.  Even if the PM isn’t hiring, you can ask them if they know of any theaters that are, or where you can look to find out about open positions.  If you’re sincere and courteous, you may be surprised at how generous people are with their knowledge.

Also, when you do find that first job, talk to your fellow thespians about where they look for openings, as there may be local websites or email lists that can help you.   

Good luck!
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

riotous