Author Topic: When is it OK to work for free?  (Read 17565 times)

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: When is it OK to work for free?
« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2010, 08:24 pm »
Adam,

You need to explore your own market.  A lot of what we've been talking about here is New York; and although the ideas transfer to some degree, there are regional differences that are significant.  Your market probably isn't as saturated as we've been discussing so far on this topic.

Check out the Portland Area Theatre Alliance at http://www.patagreenroom.org/index.php. Contact the theatres in the area.  Don't ask other SM's what they make, but it's perfectly fine in an initial meeting with production managers to ask what they usually offer stage managers.  For small non-profit theatres, make sure that what they offer works out to at least minimum wage for their typical rehearsal hours per week.  Look at the www.actorsequity.org website; I can't remember if the theatre search is open to non-members, but all the agreements are available for download.  The pay scales there will give you something to go from.

Get involved in the theatre community.  Join PATA, go see theatre, talk to people.  Send your resume out to every theatre.

Good luck.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2010, 06:02 pm »
http://www.actorsequity.org/AboutEquity/contracts.asp

This section of the AEA website will probably be of good help to those who don't want to download and wade through all the rulebooks to find salary information.  You'll find a drop down menu of all the contracts and just about every contract has a link that will bring up a pop-up window with all the pertinent financial information (salary, health contributions, pension, per diem, etc).  There are a few that don't have the information available, but that could save you a lot of time.

ajsmerf

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Just finished the national tour of Chicago
« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2010, 12:26 pm »
I was wrestling with this very topic this week so I wanted to take a moment to comment.  I had two shows offered to me this week which were right on top of each other, one a 3 week foreign tour for good money (not AEA because it's all international) and the other an off broadway PA gig for basically "coffee & transit" money but with a good company on a fun new show. 

After going over my finances I decided to turn down the tour to have the "in" at the off broadway company and here's my reasoning...

I'm stable enough financially, I just moved to NY with the plan to network and try to get an off broadway/broadway show in the future, there is long term potential with the off broadway show and company vs. the tour is only 3 weeks and then done for an unknown duration of time. 

Basically I decided to roll the dice here in NY rather than go for the easy money with a show I have done, but that being said I had a plan in mind when I moved and had my finances in line to support it.

Hope that was a little helpful.

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #18 on: Aug 18, 2010, 01:31 pm »
I noticed a new job posting on our forum today that I thought illustrated this topic so well.

http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,5628.0/topicseen.html

A PSM gig in NYC for a full month and the stipend is only $200? That doesn't seem enough for a PA let alone a PSM. It seems only reasonable that a month long gig should at least attempt to offer an amount that starts closer to cost of rent for the region it is in.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2010, 01:58 pm »
Exactly, $200.00 a month at 40 hours per week works out to $1.25 an hour.  How is the legal?  Why is the right?  Why do you do this?  (And home may weeks are only 40 hours . . . ?)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2010, 02:37 pm »
BLee and Matthew... I thought the exact same thing when I read that job posting, and strongly requesting an AEA PSM, no less...
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 02:40 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2010, 02:56 pm »
Here's the thing . . . I would work for my weekly rate, and donate back the difference if I got the Tax Right Off - is that legal? 

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #22 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:11 pm »
Exactly, $200.00 a month at 40 hours per week works out to $1.25 an hour.  How is the legal?  Why is the right?  Why do you do this?  (And home may weeks are only 40 hours . . . ?)

Not that I'm defending the job at all - because I don't think it's right - but isn't the reasoning behind the showcase stipend that a showcase is really just volunteer work? According to Equity that is. This is why companies can 'legally' get away with paying $200/500 or in many case absolutely no money for a full-time SM.

As a young (in terms of time spent here) SM in NYC it really bothers me. I PSMed regionally for a number of years and made a great living wage before deciding to move to NY and now I'm actually in a odd position because I'm more experienced that many of the folks competing for jobs 'at my level' yet I haven't been able to make some of the connections I could have if I started as an intern or PA just out of college.

And that job listing specifically is one of the ones that makes me really angry. I'm sure they're a great company who does great work, but $200 and it rehearses from 12-5pm?! When are you even supposed to have another job?

Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #23 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:38 pm »
Here's the thing . . . I would work for my weekly rate, and donate back the difference if I got the Tax Right Off - is that legal?

Sure it's legal but you're still going to come out on the losing end.  A tax write off is just deducting this amount from income at year's end so that you ideally get your AGI into a lower tax bracket, so maybe you go from paying 25% federal income tax to 15%, but it's not apples to apples, you don't just get the money you've written off back in the form of a check. 

Now doing it solely on principle to still retain your normal rate is entirely another matter, but legally - sure.  At that point it's your money, you can donate it to whoever you want.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

kateaclysm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:50 pm »
Quote from: MarcieA
And that job listing specifically is one of the ones that makes me really angry. I'm sure they're a great company who does great work, but $200 and it rehearses from 12-5pm?! When are you even supposed to have another job?

I agree 100%, I'm doing a low paying showcase right now, because I like my director, and I have a day job, and because I've been interning for nearly a year.  I just wanted to PSM ANYTHING, because, Interning and PAing is not Stage Managing.  But I can have another job, and everyone is flexible.  Daytime rehearsals? That's just unfair.

Post Merge: Aug 18, 2010, 04:58 pm

Now that I'm worked up, another thing. My particular pet peeve is when theaters and producers tout something as "Off Broadway", know that unexperienced Actors, Crew, and Designers will be more willing.  Except it's not Off Broadway, it's a showcase, or not equity at all.  I don't know, it just gets me.

EDIT: Code cleanup - PSMK
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 06:19 pm by PSMKay »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:38 pm »
Not that I'm defending the job at all - because I don't think it's right - but isn't the reasoning behind the showcase stipend that a showcase is really just volunteer work? According to Equity that is. This is why companies can 'legally' get away with paying $200/500 or in many case absolutely no money for a full-time SM.

The abuse of the "Showcase" code in NYC is rampant - when I was first in NYC - I worked on a Showcase show that employed just show case actors, but had money for a sound board mixer, musicians, a automated show control system, and lit the show with 20 Veri-Lights.  There was money in the show, but it was not being spent on the talent or stage management - which was extremely frustrating.

and KMC307, regarding
Now doing it solely on principle to still retain your normal rate is entirely another matter, but legally - sure.  At that point it's your money, you can donate it to whoever you want.

Yes, it would be doing it on principle. 

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #26 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:49 pm »

The abuse of the "Showcase" code in NYC is rampant -

Oh I agree completely. It's extremely frustrating to work 40+ hours a week on a show that would make a living wage elsewhere and barely get paid in NYC. People keep producing showcases though because they continue to be able to staff the productions. It's a never ending cycle...
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:54 pm »
people keep producing showcases though because they continue to be able to staff the productions. It's a never ending cycle...

until people turn down the job, or AEA stops the showcase contract.

juliz1106

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: TYA Stage Manager, Marriott Theatre Lincolnshire
« Reply #28 on: Aug 21, 2010, 02:32 pm »
I agree as well.  The abuse of the showcase contract (even just its existence) is the number one reason I chose to move to Chicago over NYC.  After working professionally in Boston for years and being abused as a stage manager there under Guest Artist and Special Appearance contracts - working as a non-Equity SM with enough Equity experience to manage a show with several Equity actors, and being paid a base stipend for the whole process because I was just EMC - moving to NYC made the most logical sense, but I saw the Showcase contract and ran from what I saw as certain abuse.  Of course, shortly after I left Boston, the NEAT contract was created, and many of those theatre companies that had abused me became bonafide AEA companies, but the Showcase contract is still alive and well, and clearly, it's doing exactly what I had feared.

As far as stipends in general being illegal, I wish that that were the case.  But most stage managers not under an AEA contract are independent contractors, and therefore not included under Wage Protections like Minimum Wage.  If they're not employees, they have no protections of any kind, including benefits and a guaranteed minimum wage.  And sadly, that's not at all illegal.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 21, 2010, 06:25 pm »
“As far as stipends in general being illegal, I wish that that were the case.  But most stage managers not under an AEA contract are independent contractors, and therefore not included under Wage Protections like Minimum Wage.  If they're not employees, they have no protections of any kind, including benefits and a guaranteed minimum wage.  And sadly, that's not at all illegal.”

Stipends are illegal.  The fact they still exist is that most theatres who are doing this have VERY little to sue for.  Also, stage managers who work at this level usually do not have the knowledge of the law, grateful to have this level job or doesn’t want to rock the boat.

The following is sort of layman’s definition of independent contractor – and a stage manager gets caught up in the legal definition . . . and I don’t think, given this definition, could ever been considered a independent contractor.

“One of the most important considerations is the degree of control exercised by the company over the work of the workers. An employer has the right to control an employee. Thus, it is important to determine whether the company had the right to direct and control the workers not only as to the results desired, but also as to the details, manner and means by which the results were accomplished. You should ask yourself, for example, whether the company had the right to control the number and the frequency of breaks, how the workers performed their work, the type of equipment they could use, and their work schedule. If you find that the company had the right to supervise and control such details, and the manner and means by which the results were to be accomplished, such a finding would indicate an employer-employee relationship. On the other hand, the absence of those elements of supervision and control by the company would support a finding that the workers were independent contractors and not employees. In this regard it should be kept in mind that it is the right to control and not the actual exercise of control that is important.”
A stage manager, although does some work that they control their own schedule, the theatre will ultimately state when they have to come into work . . . such as show time.

I have worked for two fairly large theatres that realized unless an employee is a TRUE intern, they should be paid hourly – to bring them in line with federal labor laws.

UNLESS YOU ARE VOLUNTEER AND IF YOU ARE BEING PAID, YOU SHOULD BE PAID AT LEAST MINIMUM WAGE.

Stage Managers do not fall under the category of EXEMPT employees by the Federal Guidelines – so even if you are paid a salary, there would have to be overtime – which is what the AEA salary structure is – Salary + Overtime.  One of the layman’s touchstones of if a position is EXEMPT or not is the ability to HIRE or FIRE, and very few stage managers have that.  You can go around and around with the legal definitions- but I doubt  we are covered under this definition of EXEMPT employees.

“Executives are the first type of exempt employees. Their primary duty is to manage an enterprise, a department or departmental subdivision. To be classified as executive, the person must direct the work of at least two workers; have the authority to hire and fire; and use discretionary powers. Examples include department managers or supervisors who are directly associated with management decisions and the direction of the staff.

Some administrative employees are also exempt from overtime pay regulations. To qualify, the person must perform office work related to management policies or general business operations; handle administration of a school system; or regularly exercise independent judgment and discretion. Some examples might include executive secretaries or administrative assistants

Professional employees also are exempt if their primary work requires advance knowledge acquired by specialized study, or if they must use discretion and independent judgment in their jobs. In other words, their work must be intellectual and varied, not standardized. Teachers, engineers and attorneys are examples of professional employees, as are highly skilled computer software workers.

The final type of exempt employees is outside salespeople. To qualify, they must be customarily engaged in selling or receiving orders for the company's product or service. Also, the employees must regularly work away from the employer's place of business. “

I do not have a law degree, and this texts are pulled from the web – all I know, from going through job studies at different theatres there was no way to justify non-AEA stage management positions as anything other the HOURLY employees to legal counsel that was involved.

Now, how can they get around this????  Make the position volunteer and reimburse for expenditures . . . up to a certain amount.  But even a volunteer can pick and choose when to come in.

The reality is, if you are doing a job, you should be paid. 

Flat and simple.

(I am not a lawyer . . . if you need further information, talking to a lawyer)

riotous