Author Topic: Kinda at a crossroads  (Read 2808 times)

TheatreBuff

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Kinda at a crossroads
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:08 pm »
So this will be sort of a two-part question. For the last five years I've been working my way through the community theatre scene here in Denver as a stage manager. It's been difficult at times, as many theatres I've found are a lot more eager to go with SMs that they've worked with before (and understandably so, just makes it tough for a relatively newcomer like me to break in). I feel that I've reached the point where I need to move on to something bigger. I've been contacting various rep theatres across the country trying to get into their internship programs. I feel that I've been overlooked though. Thus comes my quandry: what can I do to spice up my resume in order to get at least a small increase in my chances? And is continuing to work in community theatre the right move, at least until I get an offer from a rep theatre?

Oh, and one last, semi-related question: Due to various circumstances during college I had to forego employment during college in order for me to get my good grades (3.6 cumulative, but the no job was because of my bad ADHD). So stage management is pretty much the only experience I have. What other sort of jobs can I go after where that sort of experience is a plus?

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Kinda at a crossroads
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:03 am »
Sorry for the delay- don't know if anyone here can truly answer your question. Most theatres will go with SMs they have worked with before, if they like working with them- and who can blame them? Without knowing you, it's hard to say what you can do better- do you mostly ASM for larger theatres? or SM for smaller theatres? It might be worth branching out- if you need to get contacts at larger theatres, apply for PA positions. Or, get some experience SMing at smaller theatres that aren't community theatres. I don't know what the Denver theatre market is like, but find a gap in the market and fill it. Look for job postings in your area- maybe you've been cold calling theatres that aren't hiring, or only hire former interns, or whatever.

My personal opinion is that you can find qualities in many different jobs that have facets supporting stage management. I think the key is to find the parts of those jobs that will help you in stage management. My very first job was working in a bookstore- I managed summer employees and was responsible for keeping up with orders and paperwork, and I think that experience made me a better stage manager. But, depending on your experience, you might get more out of working for a theatre in a different capacity and let them get to know you- work for the box office, or do carpentry. A non-SM job might mean a different way to "get in" with a particular company.

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Kinda at a crossroads
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2012, 01:14 pm »
If your question was about what kind of day jobs is SM a plus for, the answer is basically everything. keep digging around on the forum.  I can't find it right now, but I remember a thread within the last couple of months that was about how stage management skills are extremely valuable in any job search.

--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

riotous