Author Topic: What to wear/bring to a SM interview or other tips  (Read 22849 times)

JenniferEver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
What to wear/bring to a SM interview or other tips
« on: Jun 28, 2006, 05:54 pm »
I'm a recent college graduate. Tomorrow I have my first interview for an SM position. I'm really not sure what to wear or bring to the interview and what kind of questions may be asked. ANY tips would be appreciated.

nmno

Re: What to wear/bring to a SM interview or other tips
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2006, 06:44 pm »
Jennifer, congrats on the interview!
I usually wear nice slacks with a twinset or nice dress shirt - a look that might be business casual/casual Friday in the corporate world.  Make sure everything is clean, pressed. I say no to jeans.  I make sure I wear a nice looking pair of shoes but choose flats or a sturdy low heel (in the event I'm given a tour of backstage/shops/etc).  Avoid perfume and over the top jewelry.

As to what to bring: I bring a nice folder (leather) with me that has a note pad, a pen and an extra copy of my resume and references.  Resume and references in case the interviewer can't find theirs, maybe there is a second interviewer straining to look over the shoulder of the first and at the very least, one last chance for my to look at the resume I submitted so I know exactly what they are looking at.  A notepad for anything I want jot down that comes up in the interview.  I also try to jot down any questions I might have for them - i'm bound to forget in the heat of the moment, plus when they ask if I have any questions, I can look at my list and say "No, thank you, we've actually covered everything" (indicating I *did* come prepared with questions but they happened to have been answered).

As to what they'll ask: that varies greatly and since your interview is tomorrow, I'd say just be prepared to talk about your past experience.  For Any interview (theatre or not) I usually come prepared to answer the "what are your strengths and weaknesses" question; it can often serve as the answer to other questions and at the least you'll come in with a strong sense of self. And mostly, Be positive. 
Good luck!

JenniferEver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2006, 10:09 pm »
Thank you so much. That was incredibly helpful!

I'm so nervous. I have relatively little SM experience, but they know that from my resume. I just have to be confident.

Thank you!

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2006, 11:37 pm »
I echo nmno -
Bring a nice binder (I have a leather one, too, and carry it in my briefcase) with a notepad, pen, personal planner (in case they ask when you are available, etc), and extra resumes/references (always at least three). Sometimes I bring a copy of my cover letter to remind myself what I said. Bring a copy of the job posting if you can - this way you can be sure that the start/end/performance date(s) are consistent, that the salary is as advertised, and you can remind yourself of contact names. Also, bring a list of questions. Here are a few to include: what is the company policy/procedure on expense reimbursements? who will be your direct supervisor? who will be your running crew and assistants (be sure you're not alone!)? If it's an away gig - will you get housing & how will your transportation be arranged? I have occasionally (but rarely) had people ask me to bring a sample call book. I guess they just wanted to see that I was tidy and professional and not a complete mess.

You should look into companies before you work with them. This is true for a variety of reasons: You can learn in general what kind of company they are (elegant and polished, or experimental and low-budget), learn who works with them, and hopefully learn whether they are good at paying their employees well and on time. Plus, you'll look very savvy when you are familiar with the directors, designers, and performers who have worked with the company in the past. In addition, I like to know how the company heard of me (if they contacted me for the job) - this gives a good starting point for interviews.

I do take have a little more fun in my attire when interviewing for a theatrical job (as opposed to, say, a cubicle job). We are lucky to work in a creative field. So a bold piece of jewelry, or a little more color in your clothes, or funky shoes can be acceptable. But you must still be completely professional! Wacky hair color, tank tops, jeans, perfume, or backstage paint clothes are not appropriate. When in doubt, dress like a banker; It's better to be overdressed.

Gosh, I've gone on. Congratulations on your interview, Jennifer! Good luck!

JenniferEver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2006, 11:36 am »
Thanks so much! I got the job.

It was the night of the first read-through, so the director said "Can you stay for the read-through and we'll talk after?" So I said yes and I stayed in dress pants and a blazer in a stifling hot rehearsal space. haha. And during the readthrough I was acting and people were treating me as Stage Manager, so I just slid into the role. At the end I turned to the director to pass on some scheduling conflicts the actors had reported to me while he was busy and he smiled and said "Well I guess you're a part of this!"

It's a job that's part of a summer festival and it pays really next to nothing. I'm having a hard time justifying that to my family.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2006, 09:16 pm »
For most of us, our first jobs don't pay very much.  But you need to start somehwere, and once you've shown that you can work professionally, the range of oppurtunities that you qualify for will open up. 

Tell your family that a lot of career paths have un-paid interships as part of what it takes to get into the field.  At least you're getting something for your time.  And, its not a permanent job.  One thing that I had a hard time with my mother over was her concept that you got one job and that was your job forever after.  So for her, getting a low paid job meant that you were finacially screwed forever.

Get through the summer, and see what you can apply for come fall.  This festival should give you some good experience, and maybe a good contact or two.  Good luck with it, and congrats on getting the job,

-Centaura

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2006, 09:43 pm »
Congrats on getting the job! And what a great way to get into it!

The route I have taken with my family was just to say "would you rather I be happy with my job yet making a few sacrifices, or depressed and earning a decent wage". Most parents just want their children to be happy, and often they equate that with a good wage. Just sit down and tell them that this is what you want to do with your life and you realise it may be tough to start with, but it gets better. Generally, I think they will understand - that said, my parents still keep perstering me to move into teaching (Personally I cant see me teaching kids... yuck)

Maggie K

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2012, 02:26 pm »
I have occasionally been asked if I had a sample of my paperwork with me so I usually bring a run sheet and/or prop list from a previous show.  I believe this is so they can see my organizational style and once I felt like it was a test to see how prepared I was.  Sensible shoes are a definite.  I've been given a tour a number of times.  I also ALWAYS arrive a few minutes early. I often spend those few minutes looking around the office or space (nothing invasive but many theatres have posters and photos up that can give you further insight into the company adn can be a conversation starter).  It's also an opportunity to introduce yourself to the receptionist, if there is one, and others who pass through.  I don't force my presence on anyone but I like to show that I am friendly, confident,  and can interact easily with members of the company.  Something that may seem funny is that I plan a bathroom break into the time before my arrival.  It's a moment to double check my appearance and to make sure I'm not squirming in my seat at the wrong moment.
I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone. -Maggie Smith

riotous