Author Topic: What comes next  (Read 7253 times)

Knavehart

• New to Town
    • View Profile
What comes next
« on: Jul 11, 2008, 09:36 am »
Hey all -  David here, I am new to the site, but not new to the game.

anyway, I have been stage managing for nearly 13 years, and I haven't really needed to do much else, I have worked regionally mostly, and done my time with theatreworks tours and  since I have come back to NYC I have averaged 2 showcases a year, and I hate to say this, but I have bottomed out. And I am looking for what to do next.   

You would think that with the skills one gains a Stage Manager, that one could easily translate himself into another profession, and that an employer would jump at the chance to gain such a talented, multi-faceted team player, but outside of the industry, not many know the reputation of the Stage Manger and their tendency to be self sacrificing and hard working, and master of many trades.

Maybe its me, though,  I really don't know what to do next.
My drive is completely gone, I have enjoyed working with actors less and less each year.  I am looking to move on to something new.  I am temping now, and its abysmal, but the money is mediocre so at least there is that. 

I am also dealing with all sorts of pressure at home, with a terminally ill mother, and siblings who expect me to match what they can give to support our mother, despite the fact that i make about 1/3 of what each they do, and they all have two income families and own their own house and I live in rent stablized one bedroom in the bronx

I am sorry to throw all this negativity out there - but I don't know what is next.
Time, wherefore the memory of man, runneth not to the contrary

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: What comes next
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2008, 12:23 pm »
There was a discussion on this topic in the thread:

There is a fantastic discussion of this subject in this thread: Changing Lanes

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2008, 01:07 pm »
What have you been doing as your day job?  Is there room there to advance or transition?

Knavehart

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2008, 02:04 pm »
I have only been at this temp position for about 2 weeks

It is the classic cube dwelling paper pushing type of position with a staffing/career outplacement company

I have already wondered how deep i could push a staple through my temple several times -

I do think there are other issues at work here, stress and health related - I just don't have the time to really address them

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2008, 02:26 pm »
Have you gone to church or temple?
There may be some solace in that...
Ordo ab chao

nmno

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2008, 05:12 pm »
First off, The first step is always the hardest, so recognizing you need time awaying from SMing is good.  Without knowing the full circumstances, here's my 2 cents...

Allow yourself to not know what to do for a little bit.  You've been SMing for 13 years.  If you knew someone who ended a 13 year marriage and then 2 weeks later got re-married, you'd shake your head...  Sort of the same thing...  Allow yourself a little time to explore but also allow yourself a little time to not worry about it.  There is something freeing about punching a clock when you've been management - let it all be someone elses problem for a while, especially since it sounds like you've got a lot going on.  As long as your bills are being paid, maybe it's not so bad to just collect the pay check for 6 months.  If you really hate this temp job, ask for another assignment.  I'd say with everything going on, allow yourself a rest from the career search. 
As far as family, a suggestion (a friend had a similar $ issue with the sibs) would be to discuss making your contributions more in time than money.  Maybe it's about running her errands for her or taking care of the house or sitting on the phone with insurance companies...  If your sibs do have families it may be a helpful reprieve if they don't have to figure out how to fit pharmacy runs in between soccer games and ballet class.  They'll know mom is being cared for and you'll get to spend extra time with her. 

Knavehart

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2008, 11:48 pm »
Thanks for all your feedback -

I was very frustrated this morning when I wrote this,  I had just had an argument with my sister

I really only wanted to ask about ideas of what careers  others have considered?  I have an interest in publishing/editorial
I do write, if only to blog for now.   I have considered looking for a position in arts administration, film and tv production, But
I have been encountering resistance,  mostly due to the fact that prospective employers are hesitant because they feel I will
jump ship for a position with a show as soon as I have the opportunity (and have been told as much, which just added to  my
frustration today)

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2008, 12:18 am »
I just transitioned myself. I moved back to my hometown to be closer to family.

All of the areas you listed parallel with stage management really well. Be sure to clearly state in your cover letter that you are looking to transition into a new career, tell them what a stage manager is in simple terms and give them a list of skills that would work for them. That should help alleviate the resistance a bit - it worked for me.

I just started a job at a full-service advertising firm. I sent a cold-contact letter and resume to them and the called me immediately. Even though there wasn't an opening, they brought my on as basically a floater until they have a permenant position for me. I'll be working in client services, media productions, account management and other areas - all of which demand the skill set any good stage manager has.

Best of luck in your transition.

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2008, 03:35 pm »
Sending strength and light on your challenging journey. Give yourself time to rest, to heal and to do things that are fun. And cut yourself some slack. The year my mom died of cancer, everything was surreal and some days, even getting out of bed was hard. I occasionally found rooms of people who knew nothing of my struggles just to have a break from the emotional weight that constantly pressed on my heart and my life.

In Chinese, the word for "crisis" translates as "dangerous opportunity" - this is indeed an opportunity. This reminds me of the 70s, when women were trying to translate what we did in the home into real world, saleable skills. No, the world at large hasn't a clue what stage managers do (hey, a lot of actors and directors don't know either, so why shd civilians?) - BUT start by listing the things you DO know how to do. Computer programs, organizing, schedules, calendars, finding props, building scenery, typing, making cold calls, whatever - list the things you KNOW, then go to their core and discover what they mean in "general category" terms. One SM I know makes her living organizing other people (for a lot of $).

Then brainstorm a list with three categories - censoring nothing. The columns are 1) what do you never ever want to do no matter what; 2) where are you willing to compromise; and 3) what is your ultimate fantasy - what do you want to do most. List everything - and I mean everything - and it shd not be restricted to theater or office work or any other categorization. For example, I hate to type but will compromise if it's theater-related. But I will NOT bookkeep ever again for anyone. Period. No matter how much money is involved.

Another example: I love playing games (Scrabble, Monopoly, Risk etc) and wrote that on my list. One day I was invited to participate in game show run-throughs, where they test the shows or the hosts or the basic structure of the games etc before they go on the air. Yes, I was a professional contestant and got paid to play the same game over and over again as if I was doing it for the first time. Yes, I had a blast and yes, I got paid for it. But the point is not that this job exists, but that I was willing to look at all the things I enjoyed doing and was willing to see what came up regardless of what I thought reality might be. (make sense?)

Good luck, and hey, I help friends think outside the box so if you want to privately email me your results, I will see what I can suggest back. Either way, WAIT until you have given yourself time to breathe before setting out on a new journey, and be open to what comes your way in the meantime. Sleep, heal, spend time with friends, and allow your family to support each other. Everyone needs a moment off.

Knavehart

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2008, 10:50 pm »
An update -  if anyone is interested

I just started as an assistant Music Co-ordinator in NYC, working on shows like Jersey Boys, Xanadu, Hairspray and the Drowsy Tour.

It is a straight 9-5 type job,  but lets me stay on the edge of the biz, makes me great contacts, and gives me the time I need to help my family.

I am hoping it turns into something I really enjoy and can do for a long time

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2008, 11:07 pm »
Congrats!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2008, 01:00 pm »
Excellent.
Congrats!
Ordo ab chao