Author Topic: What are the effects of resigning early?  (Read 5178 times)

shluff23

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
What are the effects of resigning early?
« on: May 14, 2016, 04:16 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this page but I have an important question that I'm hopefully someone could help me with. I'm unhappy at my current job where I am PSM. There are a lot of reasons among unreasonable hours and unprofessionalism, but I'm feeling like it's my time to go. So, this is my first AEA position (my fourth AEA show with this company) and I don't know what the repercussions could be from leaving before my contract is over. Can I be fined? Found in breach of contract? Loss of benefits? Other things I'm not even aware of? Please help! Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: What are the effects of resigning early?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 07:58 pm »
Every AEA contract should have an out listed - the number of weeks you need to give notice.

If you do not give that notice, you could end up owing them money.

As long as you pay that money, you have fufilled your contract.

There is the stigma of walking away from the show that may or may not follow you - depending on what market you work in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
Re: What are the effects of resigning early?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:00 pm »
I just wanted to ask you about the unreasonable hours. Is it just a lot of overtime that they're paying you for? Or is it time that you're not being compensated for. I know every job has some time that's not really included in the contract, but if it's really above and beyond, your contract probably has an hourly overtime rate they need to pay you. If not, that's something you need to bring up with them, and potentially alert Equity to.