Author Topic: Websites  (Read 114849 times)

Josh Parkin-Ring

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Website
  • Affiliations: Equity, Stage Managers' Association, IASTE, Broadway League, Broadway Green Alliance
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Websites
« Reply #60 on: Apr 20, 2009, 06:59 am »
I have always wondered how many companies I apply to actually take the time to click through to my website...

~Josh

Posted on: April 20, 2009, 04:58:26 AM
Anyone here have a website?  I'm looking at getting one up and running for my resume and such and was just wondering if other people here had them.  I'd like to get some ideas.  I've seen plenty of Actor websites but never really looked at one for an SM.  If you have one - can you provide a link?  Thanks.

I used to use Yahoo Small Business and thier Java web editor...  But now I have converted to Mac and I use iWeb with a subscription to iDisk to publish my site...  like it so much better, doesn't crash, and its fast to update...

~Josh

EDIT: Merged double posts -- PSMK
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2009, 09:58 pm by PSMKay »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #61 on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:07 am »
To be honest, every resume or e-mail tht I get with a web site, I look through. 

Any way to get MORE information about an candidate is a welcome opportunity.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #62 on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:46 am »

Absolutely.  The biggest thing for me with a website was always that it gave me a chance to get a feel for a candidate's personality beyond "show x, position y, director z" that's on a resume.  This gives an advantage to those that have taken the time to do it.  If you're a freelance SM sending out a good volume of resumes, I'd say it's certainly worth the time.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #63 on: Apr 20, 2009, 11:38 am »

Absolutely.  The biggest thing for me with a website was always that it gave me a chance to get a feel for a candidate's personality beyond "show x, position y, director z" that's on a resume.  This gives an advantage to those that have taken the time to do it.  If you're a freelance SM sending out a good volume of resumes, I'd say it's certainly worth the time.

Kevin, what exactly helps you find a candidate's personality beyond the resume part on a website? Since I am trying to build up my website I am curious what additions are recommended that will show me in the best possible light.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

SLY

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Sheena L Young
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2009, 09:43 am »
I started a website towards the end of last year.

www.sheenalyoung.com

I'm able to track the traffic, so I know that there are people looking at it.

I also attach the website to everything that I can. Its on my stage manager business cards, the bottom of emails and such. Its on my letterhead. I don't know that I've ever gotten a job because of the website...but after an interview, I often see a spike in traffic...as if the theater is looking at it to check me out. I'm assuming they are pleased, because I often get the job.
Everything you can imagine is real ~ Pablo Picasso

HappiTam

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA, AACT
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2009, 11:18 pm »
SLY: Just wanted to let you know I was snoopin' on your site & I LOVE the media you added!!  :-)

SLY

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Sheena L Young
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2009, 09:11 am »
SLY: Just wanted to let you know I was snoopin' on your site & I LOVE the media you added!!  :-)

Thanks! I'm always looking for feedback on how to keep it up to date.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2009, 09:28 am »

Kevin, what exactly helps you find a candidate's personality beyond the resume part on a website? Since I am trying to build up my website I am curious what additions are recommended that will show me in the best possible light.

Only a month later, not bad response time  ;)

A website offers more information than a resume.  It gives you a chance to put forward your writing style , personal style (through photographs and other items), and some basic creativity through the design of the website.  The nice thing about a website is you can make it yours.  Resumes are so formulaic and dull, with a website you can get out of that and add a lot more depth to your profile as a candidate.

When I had my personal SM website up and running I was having the same issue that you are having now, the "what the heck do I put on this thing" question.  What I wound up doing to add content and also add insight to my resume was taking a few of the more exciting projects I'd done, and expanding upon them by writing a few paragraphs.  This gives you an opportunity to highlight your strengths as an SM. 

Now this is of course a double-edged sword.  If you just throw something together that is dull or tacky and riddled with grammatical errors it's going to hurt you, but if done right it can help you stand out from the field of the applicants for a certain job, and ultimately, isn't that what we aim to accomplish with our resume?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:34 am by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

heatonSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.josephheaton.com
  • Affiliations: Actor's Equity Association
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2009, 12:35 pm »
Hey gang,

I've updated my website and would love input!  I'm at josephheaton.com

Please let me know any thoughts you may have!  I'm working on getting a new photo ASAP.

Thanks,
Joe
Joseph Heaton, AEA
heaton_joseph@yahoo.com
(312) 451-4798
www.josephheaton.com

SLY

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Sheena L Young
« Reply #69 on: Jun 09, 2009, 01:06 pm »
Honestly, I love the content. I just wish it were a bit more aesthetically pleasing to show a more creative side of you as well. But all the info is great. Having blurbs from people you worked with is great... I might steal that idea from you and add it to my site... :)

heatonSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.josephheaton.com
  • Affiliations: Actor's Equity Association
« Reply #70 on: Jun 10, 2009, 01:41 pm »
Hi Sly,

Thanks for the input...anything specifically you'd suggest as far as design?

Thanks,
Joe
Joseph Heaton, AEA
heaton_joseph@yahoo.com
(312) 451-4798
www.josephheaton.com

SLY

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Sheena L Young
« Reply #71 on: Jun 10, 2009, 02:46 pm »
Hey gang,

I've updated my website and would love input!  I'm at josephheaton.com

Please let me know any thoughts you may have!  I'm working on getting a new photo ASAP.

Thanks,
Joe

http://www.themikejones.com/index.html (So this website, I found randomly one time. And there's just something about the opening page that makes me want to know the person, if that makes any sense. Now he probably pays a lot of that website or knows how to design them way more than I understand, but I love the way it looks.)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #72 on: Jun 10, 2009, 08:44 pm »
Mike has been working on his site for years now.  He was one of the first people to contribute stuff to SMNet many years ago.  Based on how it looked back then, I would not be surprised if that's all his own work.

SLY

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Sheena L Young
« Reply #73 on: Jun 11, 2009, 02:39 pm »
Mike has been working on his site for years now.  He was one of the first people to contribute stuff to SMNet many years ago.  Based on how it looked back then, I would not be surprised if that's all his own work.

I love his website!

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #74 on: Jun 17, 2009, 09:51 pm »
my website has been up and running for almost 2 months now. www.bethanybriggs.com
I would love any input you all might have.

riotous