Author Topic: Websites  (Read 115033 times)

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Websites
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2006, 02:03 am »
I think that if you are going to have a web site, you really should register a domain for it - make it look at least semi professional. Sacrifice two cups of coffee a year or something and put the money towards it.

Karnai

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Oct 22, 2006, 12:07 pm »
Mac-
I agree and I probably will sometime.  If I decide say, to put my website on my business cards, but as my first website is an experiment, I haven't made that decision yet.  The website I listed also allows you to use your own domain if you have one. Please excuse, us college students are obsessed with 'free' things.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #32 on: Oct 22, 2006, 02:13 pm »
I've set one up using Microsoft Office Live:  reneeEyancey.com.  It's pretty basic with just a bio, resume, and a list of current projects with links to the theatre and ticket/box office info. 

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #33 on: Aug 14, 2007, 11:19 pm »
I know this is rather late to the game, but ya'll have some fantastic websites. I'm really impressed with the range and designs. Yay creativity! Hooray SMs!

Even if the site is "totally passive" I think it's a smart tool. And I agree with Mac, if you can afford to register your name as a domain, you should. But then again, free (or nearly so) is mighty groovy...

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 14, 2007, 11:42 pm »
Also, I'm finding that LinkedIn is another interesting networking tool, via the web. Think of it as MySpace for grownups. No blogging, no ridiculous stories, no gossip. Just plain "old fashioned" networking.

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 15, 2007, 12:12 pm »
Another example can be found at
www.vernonwillet.com

Your graphics are gorgeous!

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 15, 2007, 01:33 pm »
Another example can be found at
www.vernonwillet.com

Your graphics are gorgeous!

I wholeheartedly concur.

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 22, 2007, 03:58 pm »
I spend 40 bucks a year on my website which includes the domain name.  While my website is just there to have more information listing my past shows I like the benefit of having a professional looking email address simply laid out as firstname@firstnamelastname.net.  I think godaddy.com actually will host an email address for you when you register a domain.  Regardless its a $40 tax deduction for me at the end of the year.

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
« Reply #38 on: Sep 12, 2007, 03:19 pm »
I recently set up a web page-- though I've yet to decide exactly how to use it.  I use godaddy for domain name and I'm currently taking advantage of the hosting service at my grad school.
http://www.themikejones.com

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #39 on: Sep 12, 2007, 05:39 pm »
When I was job-hunting out of college I had a personal website.  I thought it was a great tool and a great place to showcase my work.

Now that I'm on the other side of the coin and working very closely with recruiting and hiring, I'm not sure how useful a personal website is for a stage manager who's job hunting.  For designers it's a great place to showcase some photos and for a potential employer to get a feel for their work.  As a stage manager though, there's nothing on your website you can't put on your resume. 

Some will argue that it's nice to have a "professional" looking email address, but again, being on the other side of the coin I really don't think less of a potential employee for having a gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc... as long as it's an email address that makes good business sense that's in front of the @.  I got an application a few days ago from an email address to the tune of "jesus freak" and some numbers @ something.com... not terribly attractive to someone looking for a stage manager.

All in all I think it can be a nice touch to have a personal website, though it's certainly not necessary and in my opinion doesn't give you an edge in getting a stage management job.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:15 pm »
I have two sites, one is my business site for sales and audio services while the other is for prospective employers.
Business:
http://www.freewebs.com/avkid001/
Employment:
http://www.freewebs.com/pladue/
Yeah, I know that I need to lose the freewebs addresses.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:28 pm »
Hey, everyone.
I just launched my new website, www.tracigaydos.com!  Please let me know what you think; would love to get feedback from other sm's.

Thanks!
Traci

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2008, 09:55 pm »
i have my own website as well

www.johndmurdock.com
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #43 on: Mar 16, 2008, 10:42 pm »
Just updated mine

www.stagemanager.net

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #44 on: Apr 20, 2008, 01:11 pm »
I started this thread almost 2 years ago now (wow I feel old) and have now come around to finally putting up a good site.  Please feel free to check it out - www.scottpomerico.com.  I'm interested in opinions and suggestions.

I've also got this great little feature where I have the rehearsal schedule of the current show attached to my site.  Only reachable by a direct link to avoid random people from wandering onto it.  I like to respect some privacy I guess.  I'll let everyone know how that works out as I start rehearsals on Tuesday for a new show.

And I know I need to get a new pic up.  It's just the only one I have that looks semi-professional and since I'm not an actor - the fact that I cut off all my hair and beard a year ago - doesn't really make a difference yet.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2008, 01:14 pm by Digga »

riotous