Author Topic: Websites  (Read 114780 times)

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Websites
« Reply #15 on: Jul 04, 2006, 05:32 am »
I keep a current resume (actually, more like a CV as I don't prune it like the one page resume) online as a referrence, so that if someone wants to double check something or refresh memory about a show that's been cropped off the resume i actually send out, they can just go to www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html.    Bandwidth through a friend's ISP, though i really ought to get a more professional domain name.

And a third here on avoiding personal blogs.  The last thing you want is to have potential employers start reading about your wild vacation.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #16 on: Jul 05, 2006, 11:42 am »
Thanks Pat -
It was starting to get cold here in Scotland.
And you know what they say aboot a Scotman's kilt...
Ordo ab chao

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #17 on: Jul 05, 2006, 11:18 pm »
(and what he dinna wear unnerneath tha'.....)

ok back on topic....

I grabbed one of the microsoft office free sites and am poking around trying to learn what to do to build the damn thing - many impressive websites later, I am thoroughly intimidated, but not giving up yet.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #18 on: Jul 05, 2006, 11:39 pm »
Here's my original personal website, courtesy of the Wayback Machine:

How SMNetwork looked back in the beginning

Web design takes a lot of practice and picking up skills along the way.

It's a bit daunting to look at all the stuff that was amassed in the old site from the perspective of trying to bring it back in a coherent home-grown form.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that it does take practice and looking at a whole bunch of both good and crappy sites before you figure out what works and what you hate.  And how to do it. 

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #19 on: Jul 07, 2006, 12:00 am »
(and what he dinna wear unnerneath tha'.....)

ok back on topic....

I grabbed one of the microsoft office free sites and am poking around trying to learn what to do to build the damn thing - many impressive websites later, I am thoroughly intimidated, but not giving up yet.

I won't say I've mastered this one but if you have any questions, I'll see if I can help as that's what I used for mine.

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 07, 2006, 06:10 pm »
thanks - I will email you when I have had a run or two and get frustrated.....

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:16 pm »
To those with websites: what service/site do you use as your web host?  Any pros/cons?  Thanks!

I use Freewebs because frankly I code at the level of a slow four year old. I have had one crash in three years, and it's really easy to use.

http://www.freewebs.com

The site I built and maintain:
http://www.freewebs.com/epactech
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2006, 12:18 pm »
http://www.emurse.com/

This is a resume building/posting site.

I have not used it, but might be interesting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2006, 12:00 pm »
I registered my domain name with godaddy.com and use a hosting service shieldhost.com (recommeneded by a friend).  The hosting isn't that expensive and it seems to give lots of space, which i like cause i like to have pictures of shows up. 

Check it out and let me know what you think, I am always looking for constructive criticisms.

www.jasonshivers.net

Lady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA EMC
« Reply #24 on: Aug 02, 2006, 06:24 pm »
I had to put one together for my theatre capstone class.  It's still on the school server, but within the next few months I hope to move it. 

www.msu.edu/~spenc139
"One cannot truly become an artist unless he has questioned his own sanity and lived in a haunted house." -Jasmine Rivera

Whitewater

• New to Town
  • I'm an Ozalot -- and proud of it!
    • View Profile
    • Whitewater's Web Site
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
« Reply #25 on: Sep 25, 2006, 10:51 pm »
I have a website as a totally passive way to get my presence out there. I put it on my business cards and my resume and frankly, it's there (as a poster above stated) to attempt to impress those who might hire me. I figure it's also a way of cheap advertising. The website itself does little for me otherwise -- although that could be because its prior incarnation *sucked* and was really difficult to find AND was jumbled in with pictures of pets and fanfiction and various other things. Yeah. Professional? NOT!!!  I was totally shooting myself in the foot even if somebody *did* come along to look :)

Nobody's ever called me and said 'Hey, I saw your website online! I want to hire you!' but every once in a great while somebody will say, 'Oh, you have a website? Cool, what is it?'.

However, this time around I hope to be more organized and to have a separate page for separate stuff instead of lumping it all together. I'd like to have a separate page for each show that I have photos/reviews etc for, but I haven't got enough of that stuff :) So I think I might group by catagory rather than by production.

I use 2mhost.com -- cheap ($2/month and $8/year for my domain name) --, with excellent uptime. I have another site with them for my paranormal hobby and it's NEVER gone down. I always get my email (they provide free email forwarding  . . . if you wanted an email address to appear on your website like, admin@I'mAStageManager.com you could set it up to forward to your home address, pookiebear@hotmail.com, or whatever, for free. That keeps your personal email address off the Net and keeps spam down, not to mention retaining your professionalism.), they have decent tech support, and they have all kinds of emails. It's up to you to learn HTML code, but honestly, that's not hard. There's plenty of tutorials online --and if you don't want to code yourself, 2mhost provides a thing so it will do it for you.

At the moment my new stage manager website isn't up yet because I just paid 2mhost today ($31 for a whole year . . . a decent investment, I figure) and sometimes it can take a while for them to set up stuff on their end -- two to six hours, they say on their website, but I've found it's more like 12 to 24 hours -- so that I can upload to their server and such, but in theory it should be up and with enough stuff to keep folks' interest by Halloween. I hope to have the basic skeleton of the site up in two weeks. Since I do all the HTML myself, and am a college student, and work my local RenFest now, there's not a lot of time to futz with a website.

I put most of my energies into doing the best job that I can for the company that hires me, networking for new leads on new shows, and actively looking for work, when I'm not in school or on a date with my special somebody. The website is important, but a tiny percentage of the overall self-advertisement thing.

Whitewater (Is this my first post? I think so!)
Current: Trail of Terror, Evil Clown

Next: ???? (resumes are sent out!)

www.mybackstagelife.net

alexmcneice

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 02, 2006, 09:26 am »
grrrr... microsoft beta is only available for americans....i wanted to host for freeeeee!

Whitewater

• New to Town
  • I'm an Ozalot -- and proud of it!
    • View Profile
    • Whitewater's Web Site
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
« Reply #27 on: Oct 10, 2006, 12:08 am »
Website is up and running! The usual caveat(s) apply about a good webpage always being under construction.

Feedback is always appreciated.

www.mybackstagelife.net

Whitewater
Current: Trail of Terror, Evil Clown

Next: ???? (resumes are sent out!)

www.mybackstagelife.net

Ran

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2006, 03:37 am »
My website, does not includes a C.V.

My jobs are as a director - stage manager - fight choreographer.

Therefore, the website just gives a starting point for people to contact and request, (if this is the case), to receive a C.V.

It seems to be the easiest way, for me, as there is not really rush to update the website often and it does not comfuse people.

Therefore, in any case I believe, that making things simple but clear is the goal.

or at least this is how I feel about it this morning.

all the best,

Ran

Karnai

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 21, 2006, 11:46 pm »
I use newbielink:http://www.wetpaint.com/ [nonactive].  It's free and very easy to use.  The number one plus of having a website is that it really gives you the 'wow' value.

My website:  newbielink:http://karenainsley.wetpaint.com/ [nonactive]

riotous