Author Topic: Websites  (Read 114785 times)

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My professional website
  • Affiliations: SETC
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager: Brecksville Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Websites
« Reply #135 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:39 pm »
Hello!
 Ive been reading through this thread as I am about to build my website as part of a resume and portfolio assignment. My biggest question is about my bio. What sort of picture should I include of myself? I dont want a serious picture, as I am not a serious person; but I am worried that a funny one will look forced. Any suggestions? I feel that I am not a very good picture taker and I want people to feel welcome at my page.

Honestly, any suggestions regarding a stage managers website will be helpful!

Mandi

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #136 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:59 pm »
You are a stage manager, not an actor. Why do you need to include a picture?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #137 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:14 pm »
I think the addition of a picture can add the human face and the personal touch . . . we are, afterall, in the people business . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #138 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:10 pm »
not disagreeing, just never needed one - so curious if this is being required or suggested by the prof.

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:35 am »
He had us look through others websites and I personally like the look of an introduction picture. I agree that it puts a personal touch on it. Some I've seen are very forced and some look great. My prof isn't giving us specifics, he is trying to get us to make these choices ourselves and as this is an extension of myself, a picture might be a good idea.

Mandi

Tareena D. Wimbish

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:29 am »
newbielink:http://www.tareenadwimbish.com [nonactive]

While still a work in progress, I am continuously finessing the welcome message, my website has served as a great source of traffic for job opportunities and as a teaching tool for students.

I've added a link to the page via Facebook and listed it on business cards that reflect the same design formatting as the webpage.

I've had the page for two years and only pay $10/month for the domain name.

If 8) you have the time to invest in creating a page, the upkeep is quite easy and certainly worth taking a stab at!

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:45 am »
Thank you! I'll definitely take a look. I've been going through this thread checking out all of the websites. It's very helpful. What site did you use to create it?

Mandi

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #142 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:58 am »
Welcome to SMNetwork - head over to the Intro's board and tell us a bit about yourself.

The site works just fine on my computer and all the information I'd want to see is there and easily accessible in a logical layout.  I think the "Philosophy" section is a bit hokey and unnecessary, but that is my opinion. 

One major issue I noticed is that there is no alternative to flash when viewing your site.  This means it can't be viewed from an iDevice.  If you give your card to someone you meet and they decide to check out your website on their iPhone during a bit of downtime during the day, they're not going to see anything.  Not a great first impression - I'd recommend you look into that. 

www.tareenadwimbish.com

While still a work in progress, I am continuously finessing the welcome message, my website has served as a great source of traffic for job opportunities and as a teaching tool for students.

I've added a link to the page via Facebook and listed it on business cards that reflect the same design formatting as the webpage.

I've had the page for two years and only pay $10/month for the domain name.

If 8) you have the time to invest in creating a page, the upkeep is quite easy and certainly worth taking a stab at!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt