Author Topic: Websites  (Read 114729 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Websites
« Reply #120 on: Aug 13, 2012, 02:31 pm »
The site looks pretty good, especially for a first try! I'd bump up the line spacing, personally, but if it's a design choice then maybe darken the font instead. It's pretty but a little tough to read.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2012, 02:37 pm by PSMKay »

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #121 on: Aug 14, 2012, 01:03 am »
I took a quick look and noticed that I couldn't view your resume on Mac with Firefox. It did work with Safari. Though the download option is a nice back up.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #122 on: Aug 14, 2012, 08:03 pm »
I've been using Dreamweaver for years now and I've liked it.  It is a little overkill at times but it works really intuitively.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Aug 15, 2012, 12:38 am »
I used Dreamweaver a LOT in writing the internship survey. It was my 2nd go around with jQuery and I needed the visual reassurance. Javascript was my fourth scripting lang. I'm not as comfortable with it as I am with some of the others.

BTDT was done in a souped-up version of Notepad.

These days I do UI work in Dreamweaver or Kompozer depending on what OS I've booted that day, and the scripting & database work in Notepad++ with bug fixes often via SSH/Pico. (Emacs & Vi fans, this is not the place.)

These days a lot of the baseline security activities that handle backups, spam proofing and security are homebrewed, cronned BASH scripts.

NJ.JerrySmith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #124 on: Sep 18, 2012, 03:40 pm »
I recently published a professional website at jerryksmith.com which I created myself (from scratch) in Dreamweaver,  as I have a bit of a web design/development background. As for hosting I use, webhostingpad.com where I got a pretty good 10 year deal for a little more then a hundred bucks. (I think that promotion is still running)

Recently I also had the idea of using that site as a basis for electronic call boards for shows but I don't have a system like that up and running yet, and we'll see how that goes in the future after some research and experimentation.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #125 on: Nov 13, 2012, 06:45 pm »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:38 pm »
My thoughts on Cedes' site... good start... needs some fine tuning.
  • Move all of your pages up a directory so your sublinks aren't going to domain/domain/page, but instead to domain/page.
  • Compress your background images. It shouldn't take 5 seconds to load your background.
  • Copyedit your intro on the welcome page. (See below)
  • On the welcome page move the "www.mercedescoley.com" to the top, center, above the navigation, I think.
  • On the Links page fix the spacing between the lines.
  • On the Links page re-word your bullet points so they are consistent. "Link to, Link to, Link to my, Link to..."  - personally I think the "link to" is redundant, considering it's a links page.
  • On the links page, fix where you open and close your "a" tags. It's inconsistent. For the top three links you've activated the whole line, but on the fourth item you've only linked the word "LinkedIn."
  • On your welcome page, you can get rid of the footer div, it's adding unnecessary length to the page, forcing the browser to scroll even though there's no text left.
  • On the About Me page, add a blank line in the right hand column between the text & photos.
  • You use a lot of apostrophes. This is a real niggly thing, but I cannot stand how Trebuchet kerns its apostrophes. Try Verdana instead.
  • About me page, right hand column - don't force the line breaks with <br>. Fonts will render differently on different screens and make for wonky line breaks.
  • About me page, resize the images in the right column so they're the same width.
RE the copyediting:

"Welcome to my professional website." (as opposed to a casual one?)
"... as both a person and a stage manager." (I thought this was your professional site? Why are we reading about who you are as a person?)
3rd sentence - you can chop half the words. Make it a call to action. "Contact me with any questions."
2nd Para, 1st sentence, "its" not "it's."
3rd para - space between Desdemona and the left parenthesis that follows.
Per Wikipedia, it's Ann-Marie MacDonald, not Anne Marie. (lose the E, add a hyphen.)

Josh Parkin-Ring

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Website
  • Affiliations: Equity, Stage Managers' Association, IASTE, Broadway League, Broadway Green Alliance
My Website
« Reply #127 on: Nov 18, 2012, 01:09 am »
Here is my new website as of November 2012:  http://josh.jpromni.com/

Still working on the database and it has taken me a long time to develop WordPress to my liking.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Nov 18, 2012, 02:53 am »
Josh, here's what I noticed at first glance.

1. Professional is misspelled in your header.
2. Wondering why you would choose a domain name that will make people think of Mitt Romney (I know you're thinking J.P.R. Omni, but I saw JP Romni.)
3. By listing your resume as a "theatre index" you are losing all of the search engine traffic for people who will be looking for "Josh Parkin-Ring Resume."
4. Missing an "r" at the end of "Production Stage Manager" on your first item in the "Theatre Index."
5. You have an infinite canvas. I am confused as to why you are using a playbill "I only have 500 letters" bio when you could actually use that canvas to tell us about who you are as a person.
6. Katonga - add a line break between "katonga montage" and the first video.
7. Also Katonga - I would change the font color in the dark grey bars to white. It's almost illegible in the grey-on-grey you have going on right now. Also, in a couple of those headers you've got black text while in the rest you have grey. Be consistent. Same goes for "She Loves Me."
8. The site is loading really slowly for me. I parsed the individual components of the page and it looks like you're on a very slow server. Once I got a good connection to your host the rest of the page components downloaded fine, but FireBug is showing me that it's taking anywhere from 1 to 743ms for GoDaddy to even start sending page data to your visitors. You can help this somewhat by reducing the size of your images. I pulled down that big 600x608 graphic you've got up for "The Understudy" and ran it through Irfanview's "Save for Web" plugin - reduced the size from 625.43k to 69.3k without losing any noticeable image fidelity.

Hope this helps.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #129 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:17 pm »
When writing 'About' sections for websites, what is everyone's view on First Person v Third Person? I'm starting to do a major overhaul on mine, and I'm torn between the two!

Thanks,
C

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:48 pm »
www.mercedescoley.com

I like the way you've worked the images into your site - I think it makes for a pretty appealing layout. Though, on the 'About Me' page, in the top right (USL), I think you mean Cymbeline instead of Cymbaline.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #131 on: Jan 31, 2013, 01:28 pm »

abryan

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #132 on: Feb 21, 2013, 12:36 pm »
I have some actor friends that have used wix.  It's free and has minimal ads.  I just made my website live, what do you guys think?

newbielink:http://alyssafbryan.wix.com/portfolio [nonactive]

Melissitchka

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • brokeGIRLrich
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Current Gig: SM/LD
« Reply #133 on: Jun 10, 2013, 12:57 am »
Hey Alyssa,

I don't know if you're still looking for feedback on your website, but I just noticed a few things.

*I like how you've split your stage management experience and your other skills. It comes across very clean.
*I do think your "Skills" section under other skills is too wordy. I think you want to be very to the point with anything resume related (ie. instead of "Well versed in Vectorworks 2008 and 2011" I might just write "Vectorworks 2008 and 2011" or "Has had experience ushering" write "Ushering")
*I really like how it loads thumbnails of your paperwork samples.
*I think Home and About could be combined into one page. I'm actually much more drawn to the picture you used in the About section than the one on your Home page.
*On your Home page, I would possibly delete the Current Project section if you don't currently have one. I think the information you have in your About section would go much better where you have Current Project, Location and Interests listed and then have those items in a text box below them, if at all.

Anyway, just some opinions.

If anyone out there is still lurking in this forum, I'm thinking about updating my website soon and would love any feedback about its current state: http://melissabondar.webs.com/

Thank you!
Cruise Ship Livin' Perk: A Whole Lot of Travel Stories - http://worldsherpa.wordpress.com/

LSteckman

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My professional website
  • Affiliations: University of Evansville, Barter Theatre, EMC
  • Current Gig: PA at Barter Theatre
« Reply #134 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:12 am »
Nobody's posted in this thread for a while...but it's pinned so I don't feel too bad for necroing it  ;)

newbielink:http://lsteckman.com [nonactive]

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

riotous