Author Topic: Webpage Resume  (Read 6684 times)

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Webpage Resume
« on: Jul 07, 2008, 10:38 pm »
For my internship I've started using the google programs extensively. I was playing around and figured out how to make my own website and have been making myself a webpage of my resume. On a secondary page I have been keeping updated lists of the tasks I complete on this internship including the programing and technology I am using.

I suppose my question is if this is a good idea. The page is private right now because I am not actively seeking employment at the moment, but I wonder if anyone has had success with a resume online and if there are any recommendations to make the sight more successful if I open in publicly in the future for employers.

Thank you!
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Webpage Resume
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2008, 07:50 am »
As an employer, I have never looked at at web page for a resume, although I have gone to a web page listed on a resume to look around and get to know a candidate better.  (Pretty much if you are applying for a job with me, and you list a web page, I have looked at.)  Hopefully, it gives me a better idea of who the person is applying.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2008, 11:40 am »
I keep an online resume/portfolio, but I don't use it as my primary form of resume.  Because of the number of shows I've been involved in, in a number of different positions, my resume cannot be a complete resume and still fit on one sheet of paper.  So I usually mention in my cover letter that this is a partial resume of my most recent and/or relevant work (I wouldn't put stitching experience down when applying for a SM position, even if it is more recent), and a complete resume can be viewed at my webite.

It's also a good resource for me; I link to various theatre's websites, and keep a complete work history on it.  So often, I'll need contact info for a theatre I've worked with in the past, but I don't have my old paperwork with me, or I'll need to recall what I was doing in December, 1999, and I can just zip on over to my website!  Leaves the RAM space in my brain availible for other things!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2008, 12:04 am »
I've seen a lot of stage manager's websites.  (Seriously.  Seriously.) I can't say I've ever given more than a cursory glance at a resume online - mostly I do it to see what stage of their career they're at and what their assorted special skills are.  What I do love to see instead on a public-facing website is the equivalent of a program bio - just the highlights done in prose style.  It shows more personality and covers the bases very simply.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2008, 02:42 pm »
I keep mine online but mostly send people to a link to the PDF version as opposed to the website.  And in all of my applications, I've also just sent the PDF attachment so the website link is more of a redundandcy factor more than anything.

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2008, 02:10 am »
I'm finding my website is way more useful than I thought it would be.

1.) I'm (finally!) at a point where not all my work fits nicely on one page, so I tailor the resume to fit the specific job. Then, in the cover letter, and at the top of my resume, the web address is listed, which encourages people to check out the complete list of my work.  I've been surprised at how many people know more about where I've worked than I have told them, simply because they saw my online resume.

2.) People who've checked out my website and viewed my resume online have been able to see who I've worked with.  It's awesome when someone who I've just met can say, "oh... I've worked with so-and-so at blah blah theatre."  It's a nice ice-breaker, and has definitely opened the door for some funny stories.  (For example, current colleagues who have worked with former professors before they were professors... they always have stories that begin..."well, back when I knew *Sarah, she used to..."  "We did Man of La Mancha back in '96!"  Or something like that.  It's a nice bonding experience, and often lends you some credibility in the new person's eyes.

So, yes.  I haven't found any "cons" yet to having my resume online.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.