Author Topic: London  (Read 5710 times)

teddiekeet

• New to Town
    • View Profile
London
« on: Mar 23, 2007, 11:02 pm »

I am going to London this summer through my university's internship abroad program (and am very excited about it). I have an interview on Monday with the London placement committee who will discuss with me what I am looking for and what my experience is so that they can find the right internship for me.

I am supposed to give them suggestions of places I might be interested in...so that's what I'm looking for. Does anyone have suggestions of London theatres that take interns?

Matt.L

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: London
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2007, 05:10 pm »
anywhere in the west end, ROH in covent garden most places in london do internships so just research some venues and suggest them to the commitee

smsam

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2007, 03:53 pm »
Hmm... There are plenty of places in London where you might be able to get some 'Work Experience' (from a few nights to a few weeks) but it will probably be much harder to find a place that could offer you a formal 'Internship' scheme, just because they don't really exist in the UK (not for English anyway).

Trying places like the RSC (not in London though), NT, Old Vic, Donmar etc. will probably be your best bet as they are producing houses. From your perspective an Internship on a West-End show wouldn't provide you with anywhere near the same scope or experience as a placement at a producing house would just because in the West End you do exactly the same job night after night! 

If you were prepared to look around outside of London (Like Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff etc.) you may have even more luck.

Let us know how you get on and where you end up!

Good Luck!
Sam x
Sam x

cuelight

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (UK)
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2007, 04:32 pm »
It depends exactly what you're looking for. If, as SMSam said, you don't mind doing the same thing night after night, learning a plot and just doing the ins-and-outs of a show then any West End show will offer work experience placements. If you're looking for something more "indepth" (for lack of a better word) then you might want to look at the rep houses. Lyric Theatre Hammersmith, Arcadia Theatre, Bush Theatre, Gate Theatre and Soho Theatre are some places to look into in that case as they produce their own work as well as collaborate with other producers.

teddiekeet

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2007, 08:33 pm »
Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't really looking at the West End for the reasons already mentioned. The way the program is structured, I can only do my internship between July 13th and August 10th, which probably limits me even more. We'll see what kind of strings Boston University can pull.

EDIT: I've been looking up these suggestions and The Bush seems perfect for me! Thanks cuelight! All of the other suggestions were great, too.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007, 09:49 pm by teddiekeet »

stephjunkin

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 10:26 pm »
I interned with Shakespeare's Globe Theatre last summer and it was great, so I'd recommend that.

cuelight

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (UK)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 07:27 am »
Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't really looking at the West End for the reasons already mentioned. The way the program is structured, I can only do my internship between July 13th and August 10th, which probably limits me even more. We'll see what kind of strings Boston University can pull.

EDIT: I've been looking up these suggestions and The Bush seems perfect for me! Thanks cuelight! All of the other suggestions were great, too.

Not at all! The Bush Theatre was looking for an ASM last time I looked and the dates might match. I'd suggest giving it a go.

teddiekeet

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2007, 08:01 pm »
Just as an update, I am stage managing an upcoming show at the Finborough Theatre and I am very excited about it!

However, as this is my first time stage managing the UK, I'm really nervous about screwing things up. Any advice on the things I absolutely must know about stage managing in the UK?

riotous