Author Topic: Two sided resume?  (Read 17561 times)

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
Two sided resume?
« on: Jan 08, 2008, 06:07 pm »
Here's a question along the lines of 1-2 page resumes. Would back and front printing be acceptable?  For example, I've got my resume down to one page with the exception of my references.  Could I put something like "see reverse side for references" at the bottom of the 1st page and then list them on the back?
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008, 09:21 am by ljh007 »

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
RE: Two sided resume?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:14 pm »
I have seen that and I think its fine but then again, I'm not an employer but my professor thought it was a good idea.
-C-

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Two sided resume?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2008, 01:22 pm »
Here's a question along the lines of 1-2 page resumes. Would back and front printing be acceptable?  For example, I've got my resume down to one page with the exception of my references.  Could I put something like "see reverse side for references" at the bottom of the 1st page and then list them on the back?

I would say not to two sided. 

It's just harder to photo copy, and again not the standard.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2008, 09:28 am »
Your resume should be one standard page, single sided.
Sorry, but there is really no way to get around this standard.

Do not use A4 paper in America to sneak in an extra .7 inches, and certainly not legal size paper.
Do not use super small type in order to smash more words on the page.
Do not make it double-sided and call it still "one sheet."
Do no put lines sideways or lay it out like a newspaper with text over every square inch in order to list every show you've ever thought about working.

Just cut it down until it's one page.
I know it's hard, but it's what you have to do.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2008, 10:30 am »

It's acceptable to put references on a second sheet.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2008, 01:07 pm »
like all advice here, take with a grain of salt.

I would say, yes, your resume should be one page, you can have a second for references - that would be true for most 80% of the people who read this list.

Applying for a resident position, teaching position, or perhaps a position that is more then just your average show - going to a second page might not be such a bad idea.

One sided is best.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2008, 01:22 pm »
I am onboard with Matthew in his post.  If you can't squeeze it down to one page I'd opt for a second page for references as opposed to going two-sided on one page.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2008, 10:12 pm »
I would generally agree with everyone else, that one page is best, however, if you are having that day where you have to send your resume ASAP (and can't email) and you only have 1 piece of resume paper left (which we have all had), I would rather that your references were on the back than you listing them as "available on request" to save room.  It is easier for me to turn your resume over than to have to try to track down your references...

Just my opinion!  :)
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church