Author Topic: Finding Jobs  (Read 4069 times)

slac0953

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Finding Jobs
« on: Jun 07, 2007, 08:53 pm »
I have been a Stage Manager since my sophomore year of high school. I did not do any theatre my freshman year of college but just switched into the major for stage management. I currently live in a town that is not huge on theatre. Greeley, Colorado. I was wondering living in a town that is not very theatre orientated what is the best way to find jobs of even Apprenticeships?
Alexandria

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Finding Jobs
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2007, 11:58 pm »
You may have to go outside of your town to find an apprenticeship.  Keep your eyes posted on the boards here and you might also try to get your hands on a publication called ARTSEARCH which put out by the Theatre Communications Group (known as TCG) that lists all kinds of jobs and apprentice positions.  Check their website (www.tcg.org) under publications.  You'll have to subscribe but they offer a number of subscription plans.  Don't forget to use the resources at your university - they might well already subscribe to ARTSEARCH...

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2007, 01:29 am »
Two great websites to check out are Artslynx and backstagejobs.com.  The first is basically a listing of various resources (print and online) for finding theatre jobs (not just stage management) and the second is a listing of job postings broken down by job category.  There are also a couple of threads on this forum about internships and apprenticeships, so you could try a search of the boards.  Best of luck to you!!

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2007, 04:42 am »
I agree, ArtSearch is a great thing to have.  I've gotten several jobs throgh finding out about them there, especially if you don't mind moving out of state.  My school used to have it in the production office, the paper version, and my roomates used to have it online.  I find the online version really easy to search through.  The first time I got it I got the one year subscription, but had a job within three weeks, so I would opt for the six month version, that way you don't pay for more than you have to.

Another great thing they have is the American Theatre Magazine.  It's a great conversation starter, they have parts of new plays, articles, etc., so I feel "in the loop."  I can't even count the times I've met people who have had something about them in there, and it's a good way to break the ice.  Plus, I just love hearing about what's going on.  They offer a studet discount, I think it's $20 for ten issues, which is a great deal.

Hmmm... if this stage management thing doesn't work out maybe I should try to get a job marketing for TCG...

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2007, 07:19 pm »
Are you at UNC?  Their tech program is getting better and better...

I would second (or third/fourth) ArtSEARCH and backstagejobs.com.  You can also try playbill.com.

If you are looking for an internship for the fall, you may want to look into the Denver Center Theatre Company.  It is only about an hour from Greeley down 85 or I-25, and internships there (although unpaid) are a great hands on experience in a big LORT theatre.  SM interns usually serve as 1st or 2nd ASM on the shows, lots of classics and new works.  I think the Arvada Center also has internships, but I am not positive.

If you want to PM me, I can give you more info on who to talk to about DCTC...

Good luck!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church