Author Topic: To tattoo or not to tattoo  (Read 21198 times)

kschlink

• Tourist
    • View Profile
To tattoo or not to tattoo
« on: Dec 29, 2006, 06:54 pm »
Just a question:

I'm looking to get a tattoo, nothing big or obnoxious, probably just a very small heart or star on my wrist.
Will places not hire me because of a tattoo? I know what some places, such as Disney World (which is my totally dream job) won't hire people with tattoo's if they are in a visible area.

Has anyone gone through such experience?
Just wondering- I just want to get a good idea of what to expect before going a head and doing it.

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: To tattoo or not to tattoo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2006, 09:48 pm »
i have one on my ankle so easily covered. i know there are places that wont hire someone with a visible tattoo - so if that's your dream job, it's definately something to think about.
that being said, if you want something on your wrist, you can always cover it with a watch.

shorty

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2006, 11:02 pm »
there are certain make ups that are designed to cover up tattoos if you want to work at disney and get a tattoo. opaque makeup covers up some tattoos.  i'm trying to find where i saw a few brand names of tattoo makeup.  i'll pm you once i am able to find it with the names.
*o*
Sarah

OldeWolf

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:50 am »
A dancer in the show I ASM'd this summer had beautiful tattoos on her shoulders. Unfortunately, one of her costumes had a halter top. She tried three different tattoo cover-ups and while they were relatively effective they were also a nightmare for the costume mistress. They rubbed off on the insides of her costumes (she had to cover pre-show because of the quick change into that costume) and on the costumes of everyone who touched her. Wouldn't you know, the scene was a tropical scene and the guys were all in white/cream and she danced with four of the six during the musical number.

I'm a huge fan of body art. Have three tats myself. But I have NO intention of being an actor of any kind and all of mine are in places that are covered by normal "business casual" clothes, or the watch on my wrist.

Remember: Tattoos are (almost) forever. Ruby Laser treatment is expensive and very uncomfortable.

Owen
All the world's a Stage...

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2007, 12:18 pm »
Both my tats (the one I have and the one I'm getting) are in coverable areas as far clothing is concerned, if I was performing and was made to wear shorts or a tank top I'd have to come up with something.  Of course the shape I'm in right now, if I was made to wear shorts or a tank top the last problem the director would have was my tattoo.

As for Disney, they will actually allow cast members to have Tattoos for non-guest interactive positions, or they will require you to cover it with a band aid or make up.  However realize this, when you go for the interview that puppy better be covered or they will opt for the non inked candidate. 

I would seriously contemplate placement though.  It's a very cool thing to have, but not always accepted as the most professional, no matter what the design.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:15 pm »
If you want it on your wrist, be sure it's up high enough so that you can cover it with a long sleeve shirt.  In fact this is what most tattoo artists would recommend anyways.

I have one on my shoulder blade that I absolutely love (actually my little icon is what my tattoo is) but I'm with OldeWolf, in that I have no intention of being an actor of any kind. 

But, I'm in an artistic career and not ever going to be in anything else (while I may not be a stage manager, I'll certainly alwas be in the theatre) and I think they're a little more "acceptable."  If you think you may ever be in the corporate world, make sure you get one where you are able to cover it!
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:53 am »
I have two half sleeves and a good chunk of my back tattooed.

The only job that I ever had a problem at was when I worked at Panera Bread (for about 1/2 hour until the manager saw me and fired me).  That was in college.

I once went on an interview with an opera company and was careful to keep them covered because I know that opera is a little more formal than theatre or dance.  It turned out to be an over-reaction because the PM had more visible tattoos than me. (that was also in college).

Needless to say, it has been a number of years since college.  A number of non-judgemental, problem free tattoo years.

I do sometimes cover my tats if I want to avoid attention, but rarely because I am afraid of what people will think.  I would not recommend getting something on your face or hands, that might be too much for some people.  But really what people look at is how well you do your job, not if you have some ink.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:09 pm »
Have done an informal survey-

None of the Admin or Production Staff have any tatoos- visible or otherwise...

More than half of the performers do...

Shouldn't that be the other way around?  ???

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:43 pm »
I would say that if you were in actor, reconsider the tattoo.  However, being a SM, I don't see it being a huge deal.  I have one tattoo all the way around my right ankle, and I also have a few piercings, but it's nothing that I cant take out or cover up.  You always want to look professional and at least be able to cover them up if you need to, but I don't see it being a huge problem.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:20 pm »
I agree completely with KC SM.  I have 6 tattoos, all of which can be covered by long sleeves or socks.  If Disney is where you want to end up, perhaps get your tattoo after you work with them?   :)  But tattoos have never been a big deal anywhere I've worked-I usually have them covered at an interview with a new company, but have never had anything said about it later when they were seen.

Emilyann5

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2011, 03:30 pm »
Hey Everyone!
Just wondering, for those of you who have tattoos, have they ever stopped you or made it harder for you to land a job? Many people think that because this is an artistic field, it is okay to have tattoos anywhere. Just looking for opinions/experience.

Thanks!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2011, 04:35 pm »
I don't have a tattoo myself but know many who do. Never heard of anyone having problems.

Here's an existing thread that covers this topic:
http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,1838.msg11634.html#msg11634

It might help answer this question for you.

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2011, 11:35 pm »
I have a half sleeve on one arm, and I've never had any problems.  I've worn long sleeves for an interview or two, but once I got the job, I have had no problems showing it.  I get tons of compliments from locals crews across the country - I think because of my tattoo, they view me as a sort of "badass"....

I'd say about a fourth of the crew I currently work with is inked - and I think I'd say the same for the previous show I worked on as well.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2011, 11:56 pm »
LizzG is working on a particular type of show.

I wonder if there is sort of an "ink ceiling" at some point where it will be more of a hindrance.  In the commercial theater world, where GMS (business men/women) are making the hiring decisions - being a little more conservative might not hurt.

Remember, it's show business, not show art.

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2011, 01:44 am by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:58 am »
I've worked for a lot of companies who view too many tattoos as "people who don't take the art seriously and would rather stand out and be unique vs. doing their job". Fair or not, that's the deal for some places. I've moderated auditions for summer stocks who have simply said "That girl/guy with all the tattoos and the facial piercings....hmm no." Could be the best actor/singer/dancer in the world, but they couldn't get past the visual of the body art.

Some of those folks hiring out there can't get past your outer appearance to decide if you're qualified for the job.

riotous