Author Topic: To tattoo or not to tattoo  (Read 21198 times)

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: To tattoo or not to tattoo
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2011, 09:40 am »
There are a number of places in this industry who will not employ staff with visible tattoos. Corporate AV is one, Disney is another. If considering a tattoo, I would suggest trying to keep them to areas which can be easily covered by "corporate" clothing.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2011, 10:09 am »
Also consider you may not be doing theatre forever.  If you elect to transition into another field how will your ink effect your employability?  I work for an entertainment technology systems integration company, we work primarily in the cruise, mega-yacht and theme park industries.  We've recently had to tell one of our install techs in no uncertain terms that if he gets much more visible ink we're not going to be able to send him into the field.

So many folks in their 20s, many of my friends included, are very inked up.  I can't help but wonder how they're going to look in 25 years when gravity and age take their toll, and wonder if they will wish they'd tattooed a bit less. 

The person who invents a "do it yourself" tattoo removal cream is going to make millions. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2011, 08:50 pm »
And the other thing to think about, though some people may say their visible tattoos never hurt their interview there is the fact that you never know for sure if you may have lost a job to somebody else because of it.  Sometimes an interviewer may not even realize that the tattoo (or lack of) may be what subconsciously made them lean towards another candidate.  I'm not saying don't get one, but definitely, as others have said, consider an area that is fairly easily concealed during an interview.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #18 on: Jul 20, 2011, 12:52 am »
http://theartofpainx.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/tattoo-hidden.jpg

Interesting to see this photos and compare the two . . . how the visible tattoos does change your opinion of the person (as does the costume).  Regardless of what the generation now feels about them, remember that a different generation does the hiring.

Matthew "I have a tattoo myself" Shiner

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

bemalk

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM-Ocean Professional Theatre Company
« Reply #19 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:13 am »
I personally have 15 tattoos and a 6 facial piercings and they have not effected my employment(to my knowledge) at all.  Disney is a big no-no with tattoos so if you've got one in an area that could be seen while wearing shorts and a t-shirt you are out of luck with a getting a job with them.  Other than that the only issue I ever had was on a TYA tour and one person in one of the houses was relatively rude to me and I see no reason why he would have been like that other than my tattoos and piercings.  But one house out of around 70 isn't bad.

I personally say if you want something small on your wrist go ahead and do it.  My philosophy is if you are working behind the scenes it shouldn't be an issue and if it is...that's not someone I want to be working with anyway.  Let's be honest here we're not supposed to be seen so why should it matter?
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their crafts, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #20 on: Jul 20, 2011, 11:33 am »
Let's be honest here we're not supposed to be seen so why should it matter?

I've worked in a bunch of small theatres where I have to physically find the house manager in the lobby full of patrons to give a time call, or wade through patrons in the lobby to get to the booth.

I'm not saying I'm against tattoos (to each their own), just that we are visible sometimes as part of our jobs.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #21 on: Jul 20, 2011, 12:29 pm »
I have two half sleeves and my back tattooed and have had so for years.  I also work in corporate theatre and events and have so for years.  I sometimes cover my tattoos for interviews, but not always.

Most people these days think my tattoos are cool (even older people) and the crew definitely seems "impressed" when they see them.  This applies worldwide, as I have worked on three separate continents in the last 5 years.  (Including 1 Muslim country)  (I'm am sure there are countries where it would not be ok, but in those countries they would probably also take offense at my gender and Caucasianess as well)

Carrying yourself professionally and dress professionally and people will take you seriously.  Have tasteful tattoos in locations that you can cover if necessary.

I am in a position to hire people and I would never not hire someone because they had tattoos.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #22 on: Jul 20, 2011, 08:22 pm »
Okay, cut to the chase.

We all agree that having tattoos may or may not hurt your career . . . my question is why take the gamble?  We all know that there is going to be someone out there who is going to be prejudice against it. Jessie K has made it pretty far and not had a problem, but that's her path.  This job is hard enough, why put up more possible road blocks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
« Reply #23 on: Jul 23, 2011, 12:53 pm »
http://theartofpainx.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/tattoo-hidden.jpg

Interesting to see this photos and compare the two . . . how the visible tattoos does change your opinion of the person (as does the costume).  Regardless of what the generation now feels about them, remember that a different generation does the hiring.

Matthew "I have a tattoo myself" Shiner

Kind of off topic, but....The thing about these 2 pictures, is that, yes you may look at the picture with visible tattoos and think of that person differently.  But it's not just about the tattoos in that second picture - it's about the shirt (sleeveless and says "ass"), and the stance of the person, and the overall demeanor.  Even if the guy in the second picture didn't have tattoos, you would think of him differently.  Now, put that guy in a nice short sleeve polo or something, and have him smile, and I think you would have a bit of a different opinion of him and what he's like.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #24 on: Jul 24, 2011, 11:16 am »
A question on perspective:
Is anyone who responded positively to tats over 35?
Ordo ab chao

BlueRidgeSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #25 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:21 am »
My two cents - my day job employer is a privately owned family business that prides itself on its conservative image.  I have one tattoo that is easily covered by regular clothing.  I actually paid for it with the money I got from my first paid SM gig - I wanted that money and that feeling of getting paid to SM to be with me for the rest of my life.   :)

My employer has a policy very similar to Disney where tattoos cannot be visible at all, men can have no visible piercings, and women are only allowed one earring per ear and no other piercings.  And my department is not a front-line area with direct interaction with customers and we still have the same policy as customer facing areas.  However, my boss has multiple tattoos (she is in her 50's) and several of them are on her ankles.  She either wears band-aids, boots that cover them, or in the summer she wears a lot of dresses with leggings underneath.  I have been getting away with two earrings per ear for a few years now.  And my black toenail polish is also against policy, but it matches my black sandals and no one has commented on it.  I'd never put black polish on my fingernails, though.

So I guess in the long run, your mileage may vary. 

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #26 on: Aug 07, 2011, 06:19 pm »
Theatre careers are full of these awesome trade-offs.

You can have Integrity and only work on interesting, original, thought-provoking shows and shiver at the sheer artistic quality of every project you associate yourself with. You might succeed and become a Great Actor/Designer/Director/Technician. You'll probably spend a few years doing indie theatre and then have to leave the industry. And if you decide that that's a risk you want to take, and that's a lifestyle you want to live (To misquote a retiring life-long RSC company member: "Dame Theatre has never provided me with wealth or celebrity, but she has always kept a place for me, and for that I am eternally grateful."), okay. Go nuts.

You can also sell out. You can take the industry shows and work on cruise ships and accept contracts for work which you know is going to be trite and uninspiring and derivative and sappy and which you might even be a little ashamed of--but which will always pay the bills and provide a little more. And instead of taking pride in the quality of your CV, you can take pride in your employability, and in your (relatively) solid career, and in the non-theatrical (or, indeed, theatrical!) pursuits which that little extra income provides for you.

There's nothing "right" or "wrong" about either of these approaches. You aren't a better or a worse person for pursuing them, and the industry probably needs a certain number of people who fit in both camps. Most of us don't even fit neatly into one box or the other.

And tattoos are on the same basic matrix.

Getting visible tattoos will limit your career options. You should still be able to find work, but if you plan to get to a level where you're regularly working with people who wear suits and have private offices, you may struggle if you have visible tats and unusual piercings.

If you want to get to that level, then this is something to consider.

But if that's not a life you want to live, and that's not somewhere you can ever see yourself being happy, and you prefer the lifestyle associated with "lower-level" work, then go nuts.

AFoseid88

• Tourist
  • Do the gig, be a pro :)
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UW-Green Bay
  • Current Gig: Merrimack Rep Theatre - SM intern
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #27 on: Aug 08, 2011, 12:45 pm »
this was definitely helpful to read, as someone who loves tattoos (1 medium size one on shoulder) and wants more. A professor once told me 'actors never own their bodies'. As harsh as that sounds its true. Once you're cast the directors are going to decided how you look. And if you want to keep getting cast, that 'canvas' better be workable, so to speak.
As an aspiring SM, I still hold to that philosophy. If I can't cover it, I'm not going to get it done. Tiny wrist tats, they're doable. Like the others said, a watch or a chunky bracelet or arm band can do the trick.

Do the gig, be a pro  8)

-Alex

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #28 on: Aug 09, 2011, 11:58 pm »
A question on perspective:
Is anyone who responded positively to tats over 35?

Yes.  And I myself, though not quite 35 am pretty darn close to it.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2011, 12:00 am by Jessie_K »

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
« Reply #29 on: Aug 14, 2011, 09:03 pm »
I had a job where my piercings were a problem. It was at a Cedar Parks affiliate theme park and in my interview I told them that keeping my piercings was a condition of my employment and was told that was fine (i have 00ga plugs a lip and nose stud) and official policy also stated that was fine as I was head LX and not handling food or anything. However later on in the season when the person who interviewed me had moved on and a new PM came in she insisted that I was in violation of policy and would bring it up on a daily basis, harassing me with it. Because of this and some other issues I ended up leaving the position after a month or so.
  The moral of this story being that it is an easy way for people who are looking for an excuse to single you out to do so. And even though we like to think we work in an open-minded field people do and will judge on the silliest things.
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come"

riotous