Author Topic: Stepping In  (Read 4870 times)

jenhen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Stepping In
« on: Apr 09, 2008, 11:58 am »
I'm stepping in for the PSM on a show to call the last 2 weeks of the run.
It's at a good theater, so I want to put it on my resume, but I'm unsure how to list my position and am interested to hear how you list it on your resume.

Substitue PSM?
Calling PSM?
Temporary PSM?
Stepping in PSM?  Now that sounds awkward!

Thanks!

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stepping In
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2008, 12:46 pm »
Replacement PSM

I'm stepping in for the PSM on a show to call the last 2 weeks of the run.
It's at a good theater, so I want to put it on my resume, but I'm unsure how to list my position and am interested to hear how you list it on your resume.

Substitue PSM?
Calling PSM?
Temporary PSM?
Stepping in PSM?  Now that sounds awkward!

Thanks!

"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2008, 11:38 pm »
On my resume I notate it as Production Stage Manager Sub, even if I completed the run for someone else.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

nmno

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2008, 01:17 am »
I would say either replacement PSM or sub SM (I don't really think of PSM being a sub kind of position.)  Seeing as how you are finishing out the run I'd go with "replacement".

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2008, 12:52 pm »
I’ve been in that situation several times, and I list it as Production Stage Manager with “Take-Over” in parentheses under it.  Or PSM with an asterisk, and a corresponding note saying it was a take-over (or whatever word you choose). That might work well if you’re low on space on your resume. 

Personally, I’d stay away from “Calling SM” in this situation, since that sort of sounds like there is another SM floating around somewhere who deals with other aspects of the show, when really all problems are your problems at this point.  “Temporary” would be weird, too, since you are the only contracted PSM for the show once the original SM is gone, regardless of the length of the engagement. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2008, 01:08 pm »
I have mine listed as "Cover Stage Manager" and instead of the director's name in the last column (as I usually have it - but often I don't actually work with the director), I write things like "Called final two weeks", "one week of rehearsals" or "covered extension week".

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2008, 08:00 pm »
Do you have an original position with the show? As in, are you the ASM taking over, or are you just taking over the last two weeks of a show with which you are previously unfamiliar? If it's the latter, then I would agree with the previous posters. If you are the ASM, then "Calling ASM" seems to make sense to me.

riotous