Author Topic: Thinking of leaving the industry...  (Read 4655 times)

Anne

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Irish Actors Equity
  • Current Gig: Abbey Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Thinking of leaving the industry...
« on: Jun 04, 2008, 10:07 am »
I am seriously thinking about leaving the industry. The problem is I have no other job experience, other than working in a bookshop when I was a teenager and I'm now 33...

We all know that our practical experience and skills  must be transferrable to a non-entertainment career, but how does one convince a prospective employer of the fact that, really, all people-management jobs are essentially the same?

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
Re: Thinking of leaving the industry...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2008, 02:26 pm »
There is a fantastic discussion of this subject in this thread: Changing Lanes

Best of luck to you as you make your decision. 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2008, 02:36 pm »
Besides the advice in the other thread  . . . a question might be asked are there aspects of this job you can transform into an specific job in the industry. 

Production management?  General Management?  Casting?  (I know a SM who has made a fantastic career in casting for film, television and theatre.)  Theatre Education?

But if really want to make a nice break with career - I can't say enough about temping to get your foot in the door - employers get to try you out - and once they see all your stage management skills in action, it often leads to a firm job offer (I temped in 5 different industries - from Aerospace, Health Care, Computers . . . and all of them lead to full-time job offers . . . of course, theatre, like the bad drug it is, kept me coming back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Anne

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Irish Actors Equity
  • Current Gig: Abbey Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2008, 10:47 am »
Thanks for the advice, particularly for the redirection to the "Changing lanes" thread! Definitely food for thought. I just don't get the same buzz from SMing anymore - all shows seem to be essentialy the same, and the SMing has become formulaic. It's all a little too much in my comfort zone, hence the thinking of moving on. Plus, I want a kitten. You can't tour a kitten.