Author Topic: Theme park work  (Read 3541 times)

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Theme park work
« on: Feb 01, 2014, 12:52 pm »
I have been working at a theme park for what will be four seasons this year. So far, my experience is completely in rides. This season, my choices are to work in rides again with an opportunity for advancement to a middle management position, or enter the Entertainment (shows) department at an entry-level position (e.g., stagehand, usher). My question to employers is, would you prefer to see previous experience in rides middle management, or the entry-level entertainment position?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Theme park work
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2014, 03:30 pm »
I would opt for entertainment . . . 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

dance stage manager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Canadian Actors' Equity Association
  • Current Gig: National Ballet of Canada
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2014, 03:36 pm »
If you are interested in pursuing a career in (or around) stage management, now is the time to switch positions to gain some Entertainment experience.  Having worked for three years in rides demonstrates that you are a trusted employee (a valuable thing to illustrate on a resume), but if you want to specialize in a more theatrical area, now is probably the time.  And I vote for stage hand over usher, if you have the choice.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:02 am »
I actually had some middle management experience from an amusement park before I started stage managing. Although it was a fun job, and I did learn a little about managing people, I think that my experiences directly involved in theatre were more important. My management experience was something I would put into a cover letter or mention during an interview, but my theatre work on my resume actually got me the interviews.

I agree with dance stage manager too that you should opt for a stagehand position as well. You will learn a lot backstage, and can possibly shadow the SM (officially or unofficially) and learn a lot that way.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2014, 02:18 pm »
I would definitely agree with the others that work as a stage hand would be far more useful than another year in the rides department if you are interested in pursuing future work in stage management.  And use that time as a stage hand, if that's what you end up doing, watching and observing the stage managers you are working with.  I credit a large portion of my own foundation as a stage manager to my time in undergrad working at a regional theatre in multiple backstage positions and using that opportunity to observe and learn from the various Equity stage managers that came through.

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:08 pm »
Thank you all! I will surely take your advice to heart and find work in the shows.

riotous