Author Topic: summer jobs.  (Read 12567 times)

Kelly

• Tourist
    • View Profile
summer jobs.
« on: Nov 05, 2006, 11:58 pm »
Hello all!

I'm a sophmore theatre major looking into Stage Management jobs/internships for this upcoming summer.  I was wondering if you knew of any places where I could get a job and learn from others?  What places have you worked and what kind of experiences did you have while working there or at any other summer stock?

Thanks in advance!

Kelly.

Whitewater

• New to Town
  • I'm an Ozalot -- and proud of it!
    • View Profile
    • Whitewater's Web Site
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
Re: summer jobs.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2006, 05:49 pm »
Does your school subscribe to Art Search? That's generally a really good resource for summer stock/rep work.

If not, I suggest looking for regional theatre/summer stock/ summer rep work on your own, via Google. I got a number of good leads when I looked for summer work. Just type in theatre internship summer or a similar search phrase and be prepared to spend a lot of time online :)

Try the coasts first. Most of the theatres I found that were hiring for summer were hiring either in CA or NY and the surrounding eastern states (Mass, Penn, Maine, Virginia, etc)

You might also want to try backstagejobs.com -- sometimes they have great stuff. Last year I applied for a job in Chicago and they wrote me a letter back saying that if I'd been local they would have *snapped* me up, but because I'm here in Minnesota, well, they didn't want me. So you never know.

Hope that helps!

Whitewater
Current: Trail of Terror, Evil Clown

Next: ???? (resumes are sent out!)

www.mybackstagelife.net

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2006, 06:23 pm »
You can also try the Summer Theatre Directory that I think is still put out by TCG.

Erin

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2006, 09:03 pm »
There is a Theatre Camp out of Virginia that is always looking for Stage Managers. It's Called Camp Curtain Call. I think its website is campcurtaincall.com
Derek A. Fuzzell

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:42 am »
If your other plans for the summer have you rooted in one place (you already have a "real" job or have to stay with family, etc), I've had great success just calling up local theatres and asking how I can get involved. It's not as common to actually get work as an SM this way, but there's always phones to answer, filing to be done, and other lackey chores to undertake. Most theatres will jump at the chance, and even turn over a large amount of responsibility to you surprisingly quickly. And working in a theatre office is excellent experience to understand the business of theatre. If you're stuck at home and desperate for some drama-love, just call someone up. Sometimes getting involved is just that easy. (Note: getting a job is rarely that easy, however.)

Laurs

• New to Town
  • "You're the SPASM!!!"
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Fordham Theatre Company, Roundabout Theatre Company
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2006, 11:48 am »
This summer I worked on a show for NYCFringe (unpaid booo) so I had a paid job in the roundabout phone room where i interned last fall. I still work there but I'm on a break now because of my show--unfortunately the demands of this show + school don't let me work...grr.
Amie: Noah! Plincessen!
Noah: Nein! T-Rex!!

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:48 pm »
I worked at Illinois Shakespeare Festival last summer and it was great.  They hire SM and ASM and have interns as well.  It was a fantastic learning experience and I made  a little money as well. Check out their website, thefestival.org I think.

Candy

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2006, 11:16 pm »
I've worked a variety of summerstock jobs as well as the various festivals in NYC.  The best way to find a job for you is to look at areas of the country you want to work and do some reseach through the internet.  It's fairly easy and doesn't take too terribly much time.  There are tons of Shakespeare festivals which are always a good time in addition to places that do musicals, contemporary plays, etc.  Best of luck!
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

SLynne

• Tourist
  • Stage managers make magic happen!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2006, 01:00 am »
You may want to check out one of the regional theatre auditions (Midwest, SETC, etc.).  If you are willing to travel to the audition city, they offer a chance to interview with a whole lot of theatre companies all in one day for a small fee and most of those companies are looking for summer staff.  Be aware that most of the auditions have application deadlines coming up in the next few weeks and that many of the companies have already hired management staff early in the year, but they may be looking for PA's and interns. 

You could also use the list of participating theatre companies on the audition websites as a starting point for researching summer stock job possibilities.

Angie Hardy

• Tourist
  • I love Stage Managing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:36 pm »
THE GREATEST summer theatre is in a SUPER small town called CREEDE Colorado--nothing compares to this experience.  It's gorgeous every day, they house you, and you will leave knowing everyone's name and feeling like you just added a new family to your life.  Talk to Tristan!  Apply soon!

Creede Repertory Theatre
"I always knew I would continue to learn throughout my life, but I never realized I would continue to grow happier and more content."   
Angie Hardy
Center for Hmong Arts and Talent
651-644-6969

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2006, 12:19 pm »
I worked at Maine State Musical Theatre last summer and had a great experience.  www.msmt.org

You can look up jobs on backstagejobs.com

email me if you have questions

john@johndmurdock.com
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

SummerShakespeare

• New to Town
  • Good Googly Moogly!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2007, 03:05 pm »
My first job was a summer stock and it was awasome.
The West has alot of opp's for paid interns
All on the same G.O.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:47 pm »
I would strongly suggest that you hop onto a search engine, i.e. Yahoo or Google, and type in Summer Stage Management Jobs or Summer Stage Management Internships, etc.  You would be amazed.  I found over two dozen places that looked like matches for me, and there were several more.  Luckily, I was just offered a SM job for TriArts in Connecticut, so I'll be going there.  But definitely look online and search for places.  Just make sure that you know what you can afford and how far you are willing to go, etc.  That will help you on your search. 
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:14 pm »
Check out Perry-Mansfield Performing Arts Camp (not sure of their web address, so I'd suggest using Google).  It's a great learning environment and the head stage manager (who often also serves as the production manager) is usually a seasoned professional who's great  at being collaborative and teaching.  They probably have an ad on BackstageJobs.com.  Good luck in your search!

riotous