Author Topic: Summer Internships  (Read 7554 times)

benjaminbales

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Summer Internships
« on: Oct 29, 2007, 02:10 pm »
I am currently looking into internships for winter and summer break, does anyone know of any that they would recommend?

Any ideas would be a great help, but especially if the internship provides housing.

Thanks so much.
Bales Karlin

benjaminbales@gmail.com

EDIT - Removed the unnecessary poll.  -PSMK
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007, 04:51 pm by PSMKay »

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
Re: Summer Internships
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2007, 04:10 pm »
This summer I interned at Lost Nation Theater in Montpelier, VT and *loved* it.  They provide housing as well as a weekly stipend.  PM me if you'd like more information.

stagegal1

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2007, 02:04 am »
I work at Peterborough Players in Peterborough, NH every summer.  There is one non-aea SM position that can be an intern or staff, depending on experience, offers housing and small weekly pay.  You get to SM 2 children's theatre productions, and ASM 3-5 mainstage productions with 2 different AEA PSMs.  Oh, and it's a hell of a lot of fun with some great people, even though there is only 1 day off every 2 weeks.

Allie

Britney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Troilus and Cressida - One Shot Productions
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:11 am »
I worked at the Hangar Theatre in Ithaca,NY for the past two summers. They provide housing and a small stipend (about $100 a week) to their interns. If you are an ASM your stipend goes up to $175 a week. As an intern you get A LOT of experience SMing black box shows, ASMing a children's show, and being a production assistant on one equity mainstage show. Days off are few and far between and the rehearsal schedules are crazy, but there is a great feeling of community and you get to SM a lot. =)

pilya29

• New to Town
  • soar high
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: TP,UPTC,DUP,CCP,SBCS,MAGIS
  • Current Gig: working with students as an educator, both for the theater and the language
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2007, 01:48 pm »
We usually hold an annual laboratory festival in PI. We've been doing that for 3 years already. The pay is not high but one thing that's good about it is that you'll get to handle one production. We usually have it by June or July. The schedule is crazy and usually you'll get to work with people who come from different theater organizations, so it's like really a getting to know thing while working. It requires a lot of patience and hard work but the fun and experience is worth it!  :)

EDIT: Removed all uses of "aolspeak", corrected capitalization, spelling, and removed purple/bold text.  This is the forum for job seekers, please remember that potential employers read this forum. - PSMK
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007, 02:37 pm by PSMKay »
tuff woman :)

theatreannie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager- Rutgers Theater Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2007, 06:37 pm »
Williamstown
Barrington Stage
Berkshire Theatre Festival
Contemporary American Theatre Festival

... see if you can get your hands on an ArtSEARCH login and then you can search internships using that.  Backstagejobs.com also works

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2007, 12:51 pm »
I've worked as a PA at Berkshire Theater Festival which has both PA positions (paid) and SM interns (unpaid).  Both provide housing.

Colorado Shakespeare Festival also has PA positions and SM internships that provide housing and is in a beautiful setting.  I've worked there for a few summers now.

PM me if you have questions about either of the programs.  Good luck with your search!
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2007, 02:15 pm »
Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival has given me 2 wonderful summers, though neither in stage management.

They have both non-union ASMs and SM interns, so various levels of experience are hired. They do a 4 show summer with an additional children's show and a renaissance style green show before every evening performance.

www.pashakespeare.org
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.