Author Topic: Stuck in a Rut  (Read 2547 times)

nikkiec

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Stuck in a Rut
« on: Aug 14, 2011, 02:17 pm »
So I'm hoping I picked the right place to post this.  I'm looking for some general advice:  I've been freelancing for years, and most of the work I do is Shakespearean-- which I love, don't get me wrong, but I'd love to do something else, be a it a musical, dance, anything!  But I always get the "Oh, you really only do Shakespeare...thanks but no thanks"  after people see my resume.  How do I let people know I have the skills and ability to do other things in a letter?  I'm not very good at selling myself through paper...
Any suggestions/stories/help would be appreciated! 

Nikki
Done and Done

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Stuck in a Rut
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2011, 03:06 pm »
Look at my resume, and you will see your story is pretty much my story - after six years of classical theater, and I am trying to shake it up a bit - for a wide variety of reasons.

It's important to sit down with a director, and sell yourself.  First know, that it is often easier for a straight play stage manager to transfer into musicals then the other way . . . It's odd, but it seems to be true.

Sit down with a director, general manager, producer, and point out the selling point of Shakespeare . . .

1) Larger cast
2) Ensemble casts / Chorus style tracking
3) Fight /Dance / Music in Shakespeare
4) Multiple Scene Changes and locations
5) Large Artistic Teams (Director, Fight Director, Vocal Coach, Musical Director, Choreographer, Etc, Etc)

AND . . . don't forget, play to strengths, there are people out there looking for good Shakespeare Stage Managers, so maybe opening up where you work.  There a lot of people out there would love the opportunity to work Shakespeare.

I have been using connections with directors and theaters to get into new work.  (For example, I got a job a new theatre by doing Shakespeare which lead to my impressing them, which lead to working on a new musical . . . )

Good luck.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Stuck in a Rut
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2011, 03:41 pm »
nikkiec, it sounds like you need to refocus your job search on networking, rather than on resume submissions.  Keep in touch with actors you've worked with - go see their shows, and chat with them afterwards.  Drop lines to the directors you've worked with, ask what they have on the horizon.  Let your producers know that you're looking to branch out, so when the get a call (and they do) asking if they know any good stage managers, they think of you.

Matt's right, of course, the Bard is fantastic preparation for just about any other kind of work.  Present yourself and your goals with confidence and you will make progress.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

riotous