Author Topic: Staying competetive in multiple markets  (Read 3510 times)

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Staying competetive in multiple markets
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:09 pm »
So, a situation recently presented itself to me to do a show in Montreal. I live in the Toronto area and have an apartment with my partner and a lease and dog and the whole thing. I didn't end up doing it because even though I was most qualified the living expenses offset my being the most suitable candidate for the position. I was wondering if anyone has found this and a solution. I can't just give up my apartment to move to a different city for 3 weeks but I want to make my location a non issue to potential employers. I was thinking working out of a hostel or something of that nature...thoughts?
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come"

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Staying competetive in multiple markets
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:33 pm »
I've been in this situation before. I spent most of last year working in a different city (about 4 hours away), with a position that did not include housing. I ended up finding a relatively cheap apartment to sublet, since I have an apartment in DC with my boyfriend and didn't want to move, and the salary for the job made up the difference. I probably wouldn't have taken the job if it would have cost me money. But, it was a good job and really good experience, so for me it was worth it. I decided not to do it again this year, but it's not impossible to do it.

A number of companies that will have their own housing- either the theatre has apartments, or board members will "host" a visiting artist at their house for a few weeks. It might be worth saying to a potential employer "I'm really interested in this job, but don't have local housing- do you know of any good options?"

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:31 pm »
I have applied to jobs with theatres in cities where I have relatives or friends who have offered their homes to me for days or weeks at a time. The last time I accepted a short-term job (2 weeks) that was out of my immediate area (Southeast), I was able to stay with a friend in Boston for free - the perk being that they lived on-campus at Harvard. If you have enough people that you know spread out in enough places, it's possible to pull off.

Another option is a short-term room for rent, especially near college campuses where this option is popular. Sometimes a local technician or theatre employee will be willing to rent a room for $50-$150/week, depending on the city. It never hurts to ask for assistance, but don't put the entire burden of looking for lodging on the potential employer.

As Maribeth said, don't take a job that will end up costing you money.

Maggie K

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:49 pm »
My sister recently recommended this site to me.  I haven't tried it yet but it certainly looks like a possible short term solution if you don't have any friends in the area of a potential job. 

www.couchsurfing.org

I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone. -Maggie Smith

riotous