Author Topic: spin-off on the name dropping...  (Read 2891 times)

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
spin-off on the name dropping...
« on: Oct 24, 2007, 08:28 pm »
I want to get a good internship this summer, and am trying to put together  a good resume.  I know a few people from my dept. who I've worked with that would be recognized, and was wondering what would be the best way to do it, without making it obvious. I don't have any specific internships in mind, but would like this to show i have experience.  And, on top of that, what internships (summerstock or otherwise) would you recommend?

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: spin-off on the name dropping...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2007, 05:55 am »
Have you tried asking them to see if they'd give you a reference or letter of recommendation? Sometimes things like that come up in conversation, such as if someone sees you went to that school and asks you if you know "so and so." Otherwise I think it's very iffy.

I tend to keep things like that as a minimum because of several reasons.

Some people may know them and not like them.

Someone you know who is big on your book, may not be big on someone else's. 

Some people just don't like people who drop names. 

But if I was you I'd at least ask them for a reference, or letter of recommendation.  If they don't know you enough to give you one, I'd warn against dropping their name.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: spin-off on the name dropping...
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2007, 03:11 pm »
I've never really looked favorably on name-dropping.  I find that it doesn't really mean anything, or says something negative about the person dropping the name. Saying that you know someone does not indicate how that person feels about you, whether they reccommend you, or even liked you.  Answering truthfully, when asked if you know someone is fine, but trying to gain influence off of someone else's name I don't think gets you very far.  But, if they do have names, even if they are just regional, they might be good resources to ask about their contacts.  Do they know any good internships or oppurtunities that you might be able to apply for?   Are they working on a project that you could apply for a position on?  Do they have any advice for you getting started?  If they've worked on enough shows with you they should have a feel for your strengths, and can hopefully give you some tips to get you on a good start.

-Centaura