Author Topic: How Much Is Too Much?  (Read 4236 times)

Danny Clemens

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://dannyclmns.com
  • Experience: Professional
How Much Is Too Much?
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:44 pm »
Hey guys, I'm in an employment dilemma here.  I just finished a show three weeks ago with a director who I have been working with for a couple years now.  The show itself turned out wonderful, but there was a ton of drama amongst the Production Team.  To make a long story short, there was a huge breakdown in communication and lack of boundaries that both had catastrophic results on both professional and personal relationships.

The show was a middle school production (and I was working without a contract, more of a "paid volunteer" thing, if you catch my drift) that was pretty understaffed (I was doing lighting, sound, and stage management all at once).  As a result, the entire production team was contributing to set design.  I had been assigned several scenes/set pieces to design.  Because I also had lighting and sound and stage management to work on, I finished all of my set design relatively early in the rehearsal process and submitted the list of everything that needed to be ordered and the director approved it and said she would order it all.

As each week passed, it became evident to me that nothing had actually been ordered.  I asked the director what was going on, and she told me that I worry too much and to forget about it.  As time went on, I became more persistent because everything that was supposed to have been ordered two months ago had not yet come in and we were two weeks before opening with NO sets.

So, production week came soon after.  The Monday of that week was a holiday so there was no rehearsal with the kids but we still had a production meeting to get everything together.  Turns out that the director had, after telling me that she loved my ideas and that everything would fit into the budget, decided to completely disregard everything that I had ordered and purchased cheaper fabrics/paints/etc. that were nothing like the originals.

When I tried to ask her about it, she was extremely rude and defensive.  She told me that it was not my place to be making any decisions (AFTER she had approved everything), I had no power/influence in this production, I blow things out of proportion, and that I am rude and need to "calm down".  She then just walked away from me and went on her merry way.

That evening, I got a series of rude emails where she threatened to fire me.  I tried to rise above and just get myself through the rest of the show but she made it increasingly difficult.  She had an attitude the entire rest of the week (in front of the cast, no less) and decided to tell the entire production team (minus myself, of course) what was going on with me.  Despite all of the drama, the show went off fine and the kids were great.

So here's my dilemma: Obviously, the economy is in the toilet right now and there are no summer jobs openings (theater or otherwise) in my community.  In addition, I am the only stage manager/lighting designer/sound designer that this director can get for her productions at an extremely competitive and  affordable rate.  Would it be worth it to try and work it out with her and sign on for one last show (for the money) over the summer or to just walk away for good?  I've been pondreing this for weeks and I'm really at an impasse.

Trevor7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: How Much Is Too Much?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 10:44 am »
In situations like this I always do what one of my professors in college advised several of their students to do and make a list of the H.B.R. (hassle to benefit ratio).  Just make a list of what the benefit of doing this show would be compared the the hassle of working with this director again. 

Also just remember, a show as important as it may seem, is not as important as your happiness or your mental health.  The reason people go into theatre instead of other jobs is because it is what makes them happy.  In my opinion if you have to put up with a director as difficult as the one you describe, then it is not worth it, but you are the only one who can really make that decision.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:23 pm »
When in situations like that I usually take the "sure bet" job for security and apply like CRAZY to everything else I can find that pays a similar rate, so worst case scenario: you work with a "challenging personality" again, learning new things about how to deal with said people.. or best case scenario: you find a new job and get an ASM/hire a new SM to replace you at the first one.

Good luck-let me know how it goes! I'm coming off a production a lot like this, it takes deep breaths, a good sense of humor and distancing yourself from the people in the process. (still doing your job of course)
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 12:56 pm »
I agree. Take the job, and apply for anything else.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:22 am »
One thing you could do is speak with the powers that be at the school to try and have this round go a little smoother than your initial experience.  You could indicate that you do want to come back but think it would benefit the entire process (and in turn, the production itself and the individuals involved) if there were more clearly defined roles.  This should do a lot improve communication and nobody would be in the dark as to who is responsible for what. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:57 am »
I disagree: Taking the job with the intention of leaving it should something else be offered isn't good business practice.  The theatre world is small and leaving a (temporary) job (other than an emergency) after you've accepted... word gets around. 

In my opinion if you have to put up with a director as difficult as the one you describe, then it is not worth it, but you are the only one who can really make that decision.

I second this--it is ultimately your decision.

One thing you could do is speak with the powers that be at the school to try and have this round go a little smoother than your initial experience.  You could indicate that you do want to come back but think it would benefit the entire process (and in turn, the production itself and the individuals involved) if there were more clearly defined roles.  This should do a lot improve communication and nobody would be in the dark as to who is responsible for what. 

A very good sugestion--the director may not be aware of how you feel and that you'd like to improve the situation.

Good luck.

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 01:29 pm »
Dannysabenada, please don't take what I am about to say the wrong way.  I agree with much of what has been said above.  Taking a job only to leave it is not a good idea.  And only you know whether you can put the past aside and work with this director again and maintain a civil working relationship. 

Here is my comment and yes I have made a few assumptions.  Based on your profile, you mention you are only 16.  You seem like a very mature and responsible young stage manager based on your posting.  And getting this kind of experience at a young age is setting the stage for a nice career.  However, you are still very young.  I am assuming that this director is an adult and a paid person at the school and in their eyes you are still a high schooler.  Yes, that stinks, but facts are facts.  In this economy, money gets cut left and right, right out from underneath you, even in the professional world.  Yes, it seems unfair that she did not include you when she wasn't going to use your part of the design, however in this kind of school setting, there are still lines between adults and students, whether or not you are paid or volunteering, and there are many decisions that you may not be involved in for this very reason.  It seems that this has been a really good learning experience on how to work as a team, how to keep personal feelings aside for the good of the production, and how to learn to work with difficult people.  This is something you will end up dealing with more often than not.  Now can you turn what has happened from a negative to a positive to improve things for the future?

Good luck with your decision.  Do what is right for you.  When you are having to give so much, being unhappy at your job is not beneficial for you or the production.